World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fleury-devant-Douaumont

 

Fleury-devant-Douaumont

Fleury-devant-Douaumont

Sign indicating the site of the destroyed village
Fleury-devant-Douaumont
Fleury-devant-Douaumont

Coordinates: 49°11′44″N 5°26′07″E / 49.1956°N 5.4353°E / 49.1956; 5.4353Coordinates: 49°11′44″N 5°26′07″E / 49.1956°N 5.4353°E / 49.1956; 5.4353

Country France
Region Lorraine
Department Meuse
Arrondissement Verdun
Canton Charny-sur-Meuse
Intercommunality Charny-sur-Meuse
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Léon Rodier
Area
 • Land1 10.27 km2 (3.97 sq mi)
Population (1999)
 • Population2 0
 • Population2 density 0.0/km2 (0.0/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 55189 / 55100
Elevation 227–390 m (745–1,280 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Fleury-devant-Douaumont is a commune in the Meuse department in Lorraine in north-eastern France.

Since the end of the Battle of Verdun in 1916, when it had been captured and recaptured by the Germans and French 16 times, it has been unoccupied (official population: 0) along with Bezonvaux, Beaumont-en-Verdunois, Haumont-près-Samogneux, Louvemont-Côte-du-Poivre, and Cumières-le-Mort-Homme.

History

During the war, the town was completely destroyed and the land was made uninhabitable to such an extent that a decision was made not to rebuild it. The area around the municipality was contaminated by corpses, explosives and poisonous gas, so no farmers could take up their work. The site of the commune is maintained as a testimony to war and is officially designated as a "village that died for France." It is managed by a municipal council of three members appointed by the prefect of the Meuse department.

Before the war Fleury was a village of 422 that produced agriculture and woodworking. Today, it is a wooded area next to the Verdun Memorial. Arrows guide visitors to where the street and houses used to be.

See also


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.