World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gladstone Park, London

Article Id: WHEBN0024042707
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gladstone Park, London  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: William Ewart Gladstone, Gladstone, List of places in London, Cricklewood, London Borough of Brent, Dollis Hill, Brent parks and open spaces, Gladstone Park, Roundwood Park, Dudding Hill Line
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gladstone Park, London

Gladstone Park is situated in the Dollis Hill area of north-west London. It is about 35 hectares (86 acres) in area [1]

Dollis Hill House is an early 19th centuryfarmhouse, located within the northern boundary of the park.

Transport


Dollis Hill tube station on the London Underground Jubilee line is about a 10-minute walk away from the park, to the south-west. Cricklewood Thameslink station is to the east.

Bus services also run through the area.

The park is situated on both sides of the Dudding Hill Line. This railway is currently only used by freight trains, but it has been subject to various railway schemes over the years, including a recent proposal for a radial North and West London Light railway (NWLLR), which might result in a light-rail stop being built at one or both ends of the park. There is a footbridge over the railway at the western end of the park, and a private road bridge (only used by Brent Parks Service) at the eastern end.[2]

History


It was chiefly the loss of sports grounds at Neasden by the arrival of the Great Central Railway towards the end of the 19th century that motivated local public backing for a new park at Dollis Hill. Hence, there was very strong support at Neasden for the idea that the District Council should buy from the Finch family the part of their estate that lay south of Dollis Hill Lane, for £50,000. However, considerable opposition to the proposal, mainly on cost grounds, arose from other parts of Willesden, largely driven by the editor of the Willesden Chronicle from his office in South Kilburn.


In the end the issue was resolved at an inquiry held by an inspector from the Local Government Board. He recommended acquisition of the land. Middlesex County Council agreed conditionally to put up £12,500 towards the cost; London County Council, £3,000; Hampstead £1,000; and Hendon £500, while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners made a £5,000 loan available on easy terms. The Municipal Borough of Willesden was left to find the rest of the money from their ratepayers and from donations. It would eventually cost nearly £52,000.


The contract to purchase the house, garden, and estate from "Robert Augustus Finch and others" was signed by the Council on 9 August 1899, and soon afterwards, notices to terminate existing tenancies (except that for the house and gardens) were sent out. Despite some reservations by local Conservatives, on 12 December 1899 it was formally agreed to name the park after William Ewart Gladstone, the old Prime Minister who had died the previous year, and who had spent many happy hours there. Purchase was completed early in 1900.

The Earl of Rosebery, recently twice Prime Minister, had promised to perform the opening ceremony on Saturday 25 May 1901, but was prevented from attending by the death of his mother. In his absence, the park was declared open by the Earl of Aberdeen.

Design


Once it had been agreed that Gladstone Park should become a reality, the main planning was handed over to Oliver Claude Robson, the District Council Surveyor who was to serve for 43 years, from 1875 to 1918. Robson's first major pleasure ground project had been the nearby Roundwood Park which had opened in 1895, and where he had to convert poorly drained farmland. The much larger Gladstone Park was to prove a rather less challenging undertaking. It was decided to leave the northern part of new park in its "original and natural beauty", and devote the section south of the railway to sports. The latter was to prove useful to Robson since it was levelled with slop (road refuse), for which he was always short of landfill sites. Hedges and ditches dividing these southern fields were obliterated, but some trees were left standing.

Robson had little laying out work to do but provided boundary fencing, a children's playground (gymnasium), 103 seats, conveniences, stabling, pavilions for football and cricket clubs, water supply, and 2900 feet of roadways. All the old farm ponds on the estate were filled in to depth not exceeding 2 feet for safety reasons, and some later converted to children's paddling pools. (These subsequently became a problem to the Council, perhaps for health reasons, and were dispensed with in 1920).

Cleverly, Robson waited for the public to mark out what he called "trespass paths" across the park before converting them to metalled pathways. Some plantations in Roundwood Park were thinned and the surplus trees transplanted at Gladstone Park. Hundreds of plane trees were set along the pathways.

A major event for Willesden was the provision of its first public swimming bath (now closed), which Robson designed in 1902. According to the Willesden Guide 1905/6, the cost was £2569 6s 5d. It was based on Harrow School swimming bath, which representatives of the Council had visited and approved. All the construction work, which commenced on 2 March 1903, was carried out by the Engineer's Department without the intervention of a contractor, thus providing work for the local unemployed.

By 1908/9, Robson had added a bowling green and four tennis courts. Dollis Hill House was renovated at an estimated cost of £616 11s 6d, and the ground floor was let to a contractor for the sale of refreshments. The park constable occupied the rear portion of the house.

The following year the Surveyor converted the former fruit and vegetable garden attached to the house into an Old English garden, which was to become one of the park's star attractions. Robson probably erected a sundial, provided by Cricklewood & District Improvements Association in 1907, at the centre of the garden.

For many years there had been worries about the level crossing over the Dudding Hill Line where the public were exposed to danger from the trains. There was an intention to provide two subways under the railway to improve communications between southern and northern sections of the park but, although the Midland Railway Company raised no objection to the work, it never materialised. However, in October 1912 the Council entered into an agreement with the Midland for the erection of a footbridge to replace the old crossing.

Many other works by Robson were completed before he took retirement in 1918.

The park today


Gladstone Park is administered by the London Borough of Brent. It a ninety-seven acre oasis of parkland which, combined with twenty seven acres of the William Gladstone open space on its eastern perimeter, provides a green lung in the heart of North West London.

Maintained by Brent Parks Service, it is the most heavily used park in Brent and is a current holder of the coveted Green Flag Award, the national standard for parks and green spaces across England and Wales. The award is based on high environmental standards, quality of green space, amenity values and community involvement.

Gladstone Park provides a diverse environment, consisting of a formal garden, duck pond, varied terrain, woodland, hedgerows and open ground, all of which constantly change with the seasons. On clear days it offers fantastic views from the top of the hill (65 metres above sea level) of London and the surrounding area, including fine views of Wembley Stadium, the London Eye and the Shard.

References

External links

  • London Borough of Brent Brent Parks information.
  • Gladstone Park Consultative Committee Group of local supporters
  • Dollis Hill House Trust Information about Dollis Hill House
  • London Group of Campaign for Better Transport Light-rail proposals through the park
  • Trainspots photographs Dudding Hill junction, at the eastern end of the park

Coordinates: 51°33′28″N 0°14′10″W / 51.5577°N 0.2362°W / 51.5577; -0.2362

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.