World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Phanar

For the Turkish sports club Fenerbahçe, sometimes referred to as "Fener", see Fenerbahçe S.K..
Fener
Neighborhood (Turkish: Mahalle)

A street in Fener
Fener
Fener

Coordinates: 41°01′44.00″N 28°57′07″E / 41.0288889°N 28.95194°E / 41.0288889; 28.95194Coordinates: 41°01′44.00″N 28°57′07″E / 41.0288889°N 28.95194°E / 41.0288889; 28.95194

Country  Turkey
Region Marmara
Province Istanbul
District Fatih
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Area code 0-212

Fener is a neighborhood midway up the Golden Horn within the district of Fatih in Istanbul, Turkey. The streets in the area are full of historic wooden mansions, churches, and synagogues dating from the Byzantine and Ottoman eras. The area's name is a Turkish transliteration of the original Greek φανάριον (a lighting lantern, a streetlight, a lightpost with a light lantern - from φανός: a lighting lantern; syn. πυρσός: light-torch, φάρος: beacon, lighthouse) (Classical: phanárion, modern: fanári, "lantern").[1] It was so called for a column topped with a lantern which stood there in the Byzantine period - used as a public light or marine and/or other purpose locator/beacon.

After the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, the Fener district became home to many of the Greeks in the city. The Patriarchate of Constantinople moved to the area as well and is still located there. As a result, "Phanar(i)" (the traditional spelling) is often used as shorthand for the Ecumenical Patriarchate, just as "Vatican" is used for the Holy See of the Roman Catholic Church. During the Ottoman Empire, the Greek inhabitants of Fener were called "Phanariotes" and were important assistants to the Sultan in various capacities and offices. Wealthy Phanariotes were appointed as governors over provinces in Turkish Europe and Greece, particularly as voevodas of Wallachia and Moldavia between 1711 and 1821.

See also

Gallery

References

External links

  • Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.