World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

RAF Newmarket

Article Id: WHEBN0013434941
Reproduction Date:

Title: RAF Newmarket  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: No. 99 Squadron RAF, RAF Mildenhall, Frankie Dettori, No. 3 Group RAF, No. 1419 Flight RAF, No. 75 Squadron RAF, Newmarket Racecourse, No. 161 Squadron RAF, RAF Bottisham, No. 190 Squadron RAF
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

RAF Newmarket

RAF Newmarket was an Royal Air Force station located near Newmarket, Suffolk, England, near the border with Cambridgeshire.In the 1950's - 60's a new camp appeared under the name RAF Newmarket on the Dullingham Road.This was a Communications Unit under Signals Command and contained Eastern Communications Centre (Commcen Eastern) and North Eastern Communications Centre (Commcen North East)and staffed mainly by National Service and h Regular Personnel.The administration of this camp was from RAF Waterbeach. This was a relay station handling signals traffic between all RAF bases in the Eastern and North Eastern areas

History

The RAF station was actually a grass-strip on Newmarket's Rowley Mile Racecourse.[1] The grass strip is still used by light aircraft today.

Operational units and aircraft

Other Units

  • No. 54 Maintenance Unit RAF

2000 aircraft crash

In June 2000, a Piper Seneca plane crashed on take off, killing the pilot and injuring jockeys Ray Cochrane and Frankie Dettori. The plane was headed for Goodwood in Sussex. Cochrane received the Queen's Commendation for Bravery in 2002 for saving Dettori's life.

See also

  • List of former Royal Air Force stations

References

Citiations

Bibliography

  • Jefford, C.G, MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.

External links

Coordinates: 52°14′17″N 0°21′58″E / 52.238°N 0.366°E / 52.238; 0.366

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.