World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

South Side Park

Article Id: WHEBN0000770788
Reproduction Date:

Title: South Side Park  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of Chicago White Sox Opening Day starting pitchers, 1906 Chicago White Sox season, Chicago White Sox, Cubs–White Sox rivalry, Exposition Park (Pittsburgh)
Collection: Baseball Venues in Illinois, Chicago Cubs Stadiums, Chicago White Sox Stadiums, Defunct Major League Baseball Venues, Defunct Sports Venues in Illinois, Demolished Buildings and Structures in Chicago, Illinois, Demolished Sports Venues in Illinois, Demolished Sports Venues in the United States, Former Buildings and Structures in Chicago, Illinois, Negro League Baseball Venues, Players' League Venues, South Side, Chicago, Sports Venues in Chicago, Illinois
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

South Side Park

South Side Park
Game action at South Side Park, 1907
Location West 38th Place & South Princeton Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60609
Coordinates
Capacity 15,000
Construction
Broke ground 1890
Opened 1890
Closed 1940
Demolished 1940
Tenants
Chicago Pirates (MLB: PL) (1890)
Chicago White Stockings (MLB: NL) (1891–1893)
Chicago White Sox (MLB: AL) (1901–1910)
Chicago American Giants (Negro Leagues) (1911–1940)

South Side Park was the name used for three different baseball parks that formerly stood in Chicago, Illinois at different times, and whose sites were all just a few blocks away from each other.

South Side Park I (1884)

The first South Side Park was somewhere in the neighborhood of 39th Street and South Wabash Avenue, and was the home of a short-lived entry in the Union Association of 1884.

South Side Park II (1890-1893)

The second South Side Park was at 35th Street and South Wentworth Avenue, just east of the eventual Comiskey Park. It was first the home of the Chicago entry of the Players League of 1890 (whose roster included Charles Comiskey), and then was the home of the National League team now called the Chicago Cubs during parts of 1891–1893.

South Side Park III (1900-40)

South Side Park, home of the White Sox, Chicago, Illinois, circa 1907-1913
South Side Park (III) in Chicago
The third South Side Park, the best known and longest lived venue by that name, was on the north side of 39th Street (now called Pershing Road) between South Wentworth Avenue and South Princeton Avenue, located at . The 39th Street Grounds served as the playing field of the Chicago Wanderers cricket team during the 1893 World's Fair. After Charles Comiskey built a wooden grandstand on the site in 1900, it became the home of the Chicago White Sox of the American League. It served as home to the White Sox first in 1900 as a minor league team, and then from 1901 to June 27, 1910 as a major league team.

The team abandoned the wooden ballpark, with its capacity of 15,000, in the middle of the 1910 season after their new steel-and-concrete, and much larger Comiskey Park was finished, just three blocks north of the old park (corner to corner), where they began an 8012 season run. Meanwhile, South Side Park became the home of the newly formed Negro League baseball team called the Chicago American Giants in 1911. It was renamed Schorling's Park for team owner Rube Foster's white business partner, John C. Schorling, a south side saloon keeper who leased the grounds and happened to be Comiskey's son-in-law.

The American Giants played their games there through the 1940 season. Then on Christmas Day of 1940, Schorling's Park was destroyed by fire. The American Giants would play their remaining 10 seasons at Comiskey Park. Today, the Chicago Housing Authority's Wentworth Gardens housing project occupies the site.

The South Side Park/Schorling's Park/Wentworth Gardens site is located across Pershing Road from a junkyard site which was named a Superfund site in the late 1990s.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.