World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Łódź Voivodeship (1919–39)

Article Id: WHEBN0010015656
Reproduction Date:

Title: Łódź Voivodeship (1919–39)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: South Prussia, Second Polish Republic, Greater Poland Voivodeship, Poznań
Collection: Former Voivodeships of Poland (1921–39), Łódź Voivodeship (1919–39)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Łódź Voivodeship (1919–39)

Łódź Voivodeship
Województwo łódzkie
Voivodeship of Poland

1919–1939

Coat of arms of Łódź

Coat of arms

Location of Łódź
Łódź Voivodeship (red) on the map of Second Polish Republic
Capital Łódź
Government Voivodeship
Voivodes
 •  1919-1922 Antoni Kamieński
 •  1938-1939 Henryk Józewski
Historical era Interwar period
 •  Established 14 August 1919
 •  Territorial changes 1 April 1938
 •  Annexed September 1939
Area
 •  1921 19,034 km2 (7,349 sq mi)
 •  1939 20,446 km2 (7,894 sq mi)
Population
 •  1921 2,252,769 
Density 118.4 /km2  (306.5 /sq mi)
 •  1931 2,650,100 
Political subdivisions 15 powiats (1939)

Łódź Voivodeship (}

}}: Wojewodztwo Łódzkie) was a unit of administrative division and local government in Poland in years 1919–1939. At that time, it covered a large portion of the mid-western part of the country, including such cities as Łódź, Piotrków Trybunalski, Sieradz and Radomsko. The capital of the Łódź Voivodeship was always Łódź, but the area of land which comprised it changed several times.

Contents

  • Location and area 1
  • Population 2
  • Industry 3
  • Voivodes 4
  • See also 5
  • References 6

Location and area

In early 1939, the Voivodeship's area was 20,446 square kilometers. It was located in middle Poland, bordering Poznań Voivodeship to the west, Pomorze Voivodeship to the north, Warsaw Voivodeship to the east Kielce Voivodeship to the south and Germany to the southwest. Landscape was flat, forests covered only 14.7%, with the national average 22.2% (as of January 1, 1937).

In 1938 some western counties were ceded to Poznań Voivodeship (see: Territorial changes of Polish Voivodeships on April 1, 1938). After the change, it consisted of 15 powiats (counties):

  • Brzeziny county (area 1 100 km², pop. 150 900),
  • Końskie county (area 1 619 km², pop. 135 900),
  • Kutno county (area 922 km², pop. 108 000),
  • Łask county (area 1 400 km², pop. 171 900),
  • Łęczyca county (area 1 317 km², pop. 127 600),
  • Łowicz county (area 1 258 km², pop. 104 800),
  • city of Łódź county (powiat lodzki grodzki), (area 59 km², pop. 604 600). It was the most populous county of interbellum Poland,

The most populous cities of the Voivodeship were (population according to the 1931 Polish census):

  • Łódź (pop. 604,600),
  • Piotrków Trybunalski (pop. 51,300),
  • Pabianice (pop. 45,700),
  • Tomaszów Mazowiecki (pop. 38,000),
  • Zgierz (pop. 26,600),
  • Kutno (pop. 23,400),
  • Radomsko (pop. 23,000).

Population

According to the 1931 Polish census, the population was 2,650,100. Poles made up 81% of the population, Jews 13.8% and Germans 4.9%. The Jews and the Germans preferred to live in the cities and towns (especially Łódź itself). In 1931 these two ethnic groups made up 37.6% of the Voivodeship's cities’ inhabitants. The illiteracy rate (in 1931) was 22.7%, slightly lower than the national average of 23.1%.

Industry

The Voivodeship's biggest industrial center was the city of Łódź with its suburbs. Apart from this, it lacked other industrial cities. The construction of a huge public works program, called Centralny Okręg Przemysłowy, which started in the second half of the 1930s, missed this part of Poland. Railroad density was 4.8 per 100 km², while the national average was 5.2. The biggest rail hubs were Koluszki, Kutno, Łowicz, Skierniewice, Zduńska Wola and Łódź.

Voivodes

See also

References

  • Maly rocznik statystyczny 1939, Nakladem Glownego Urzedu Statystycznego, Warszawa 1939 (Concise Statistical Year-Book of Poland, Warsaw 1939).

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.