World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

All Saints Church, Fulham

 

All Saints Church, Fulham

All Saints Church, Fulham
Denomination Church of England
Churchmanship Affirming catholic
Website Parish All Saints Fulham
Deanery Hammersmith and Fulham
Archdeaconry Middlesex
Diocese London
Province Canterbury
Clergy
Vicar(s) Revd Joseph Hawes
Vicar of Fulham
Revd Penny Seabrook
Associate Vicar
Revd Eileen McGregor
Curate
Honorary priest(s) Archbishop Walter Makhulu
Canon David Tann
Laity
Director of music Jonathan Wikeley
Organist(s) Emma Howarth
Churchwarden(s) Ruth Bray
Harry Gostelow

All Saints Church, Fulham, is an Anglican Church in Fulham, London, sited close to the river Thames, beside the northern approach to Putney Bridge.

History

There has been a church on the same site for over 900 years. The current building is situated in Bishop’s Park overlooking the river Thames.

The church has a long association with the Bishops of London as Lords of the Manor. Fulham Palace, the former residence of the Bishops of London is nearby.

Apart from the tower, construction of which began in 1440, the existing church building dates from the late Victorian period, having been rebuilt in 1880–1 by Sir Arthur Blomfield, using squared rubblestone, ashlar dressings and perpendicular style windows.[1]

Putney Bridge is unique in that it is the only bridge in Britain to have a church at both ends: the ancient St. Mary's Church, Putney, is located in Putney on the south bank, and All Saints Church, Fulham, is on the north bank.

The church was featured in the film The Omen, in a scene which begins in Bishop's Park, and ends with a bizarre accident where a priest is impaled by a lightning conductor on the top of the tower that is dislodged when it is hit by lightning.

Notable burials

References

Anglicanism portal

External links

  • Official website
  • British history online, Fulham

Coordinates: 51°28′07″N 0°12′42″W / 51.4686°N 0.2117°W / 51.4686; -0.2117

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.