World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Terre Haute, Indiana)

 

Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Terre Haute, Indiana)

Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Southern side of the church
Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Terre Haute, Indiana) is located in Indiana
Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Terre Haute, Indiana)
Shown within Indiana
Basic information
Location 218 Crawford St., Terre Haute, Indiana
 United States
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation African Methodist Episcopal Church
State Indiana
Architectural description
Architectural type church (building)
Completed 1913
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Added to NRHP: September 5, 1975
NRHP Reference No. 03000986 [1]

Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church is a church in Terre Haute, Indiana.

The church is named for Richard Allen, who founded the African Methodist Episcopal Church in Philadelphia in 1787. The congregation in Terre Haute began meeting in 1837 in a small white church in town. This original structure had a tunnel beneath it that led to bank of the Wabash River for escaped slaves going toward Canada on the Underground Railroad. Many of the congregation's early members were freed slaves who had been brought to the area by Quakers.[2]

In the mid-19th century, Frederick Douglass came to Terre Haute on two separate occasions to raise funds for the congregation. Other eminent speakers have included Eugene V. Debs and Jackie Robinson.

The current structure was built in 1913. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 for its significance in religion, social history, and African American history.

References

  1. ^ "Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-05-13. 
  2. ^ Pastore, Patricia L. "Allen Chapel: Congregation, church have helped shape Wabash Valley history". Tribune-Star (Terre Haute, Indiana). Retrieved May 14, 2010. 


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.