World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel

Article Id: WHEBN0001213375
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Liebstadt, Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge, Gottleuba, Sächsische Schweiz, Cotta Sandstone
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel

Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel
Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel   is located in Germany
Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel
Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Saxony
District Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge
Municipal assoc. Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel
Government
 • Mayor Thomas Mutze
Area
 • Total 88.75 km2 (34.27 sq mi)
Population (2014-12-31)[1]
 • Total 5,677
 • Density 64/km2 (170/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 01816, 01819, 01825
Dialling codes 035023, 035025, 035032, 035054
Vehicle registration PIR
Website www.stadt-badgottleuba-berggiesshuebel.de

Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel is a spa town in the district Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge in the Free State of Saxony, Germany. The municipality borders the Czech Republic in the south.

The following villages are part of the municipality: Oelsen in the southeast, Markersbach and Hellendorf in the southeast, Hartmannsbach, Breitenau, Börnersdorf and Hennersbach in the southwest, Bad Gottleuba and Berggießhübel in the central part and Zwiesel, Bahra and Langenhennersdorf in the north. The municipality extends up to the foothills of the eastern Ore Mountains and into the Saxon Switzerland. The united spa town is located between the rivers Gottleuba and Dohna.

Distances from Berggießhübel which is more or less in the centre of the combined spa town:

Since 2005 the united spa town in the south-east of Pirna which is situated in the south-east of Dresden has been easily accessible via the A17 express motor-way which will shortly connect Dresden and Prague.

The principal places lies to Gottleuba. Basins include the Bahra in the east and Seidewitz and the Bahre in the west.

In 1999, the Saxon restructuring plan included the amalgamations of Bad Gottleuba, Berggießhübel, Langhennersorf and Bahratal.

Contents

  • Basic character of the town 1
  • History 2
    • Oelsen 2.1
    • Markersbach and Hellendorf 2.2
    • Gottleuba 2.3
    • Berggießhübel 2.4
    • Langenhennersdorf and Bahra 2.5

Basic character of the town

Surrounded by forests and near a water dam Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel has some beautiful facilities, including a spa health park, a plant garden, a post office, banks, a railway station, a promenade and squares. Berggießhübel has a heated open air pool and various folk festivals which attract visitors from outside the town itself.

History

Oelsen

The old municipality was first mentioned in the 1169 work, Silva Juxta Olesnice. The name originates from the Czech olešná which is equivalent to the German Erlensbusch. Oelsen was the earliest colonised area in the Johanniter in the Erzgebirge.

In 1429, the Hussites destroyed Oelsen. It wasn't rebuilt until the 15th century. It was known as the wüsten Dorf, the wild village in English.

In 1459, the boundaries were fixed between Bohemia and Saxony by a contract between the Bohemian king and Frederick II and Duke William III of Saxony.

In 1517, the manor of Oelsen was acquired by the Bünau family.

245 years later, in 1762, the Bünaus sold the property to new owners. During the Napoleonic Wars in 1813, fighting brokeout between the Russians and the French. Damages were reported, farming was completely devastated in the area such that it suffered famine and disease.

Electricity came to Oelsen in 1921.

Roads were constructed in 1956, the Gottleuba Dam was constructed in 1956/66.

In 1996, Oelsen joined Bad Gottleuba.

Markersbach and Hellendorf

The name (Latin: Marquardi villa) was first documented in 1363 and probably comes from Markwald or Marquart. Hellensdorf (Heldisdorf) was first mentioned in 1379.

The Napoleonic War in 1813 led to misery, destruction and pillaging. Its school was opened in 1837 and another in 1858. Thecurrent school was inaugurated in 1927.

In 1996, the regional organisation of Saxony made the two municipalities a part of Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel.

Gottleuba

Coat of arms of Bad Gottleuba
view into the Gottleuba valley near Gottleuba

Gottleuba was first mentioned in 1363. Gottleuba was known peviously as Gotlauia, Gothlewen, Gotlobia, Gottleb and Gottleben.

Gottleuba in 1298 together with Pirna became a part of Bohemia. In 1405 with Pirna, the Meißnischen count Jan von Wartenburg in Děčín took the property as security.

Good topographic maps of Gottleuba and Erdmannsdorf. Erdmannsdorf was mentioned in 1379 (Ertmansdorf, also Ertmersdorff). In 1379, the village came into the possession of Thimo von Colditz in Krupka. To-day, the place doesn't exist, it was razed during fighting in 1429. The village had a fortress on mount Wachstein (altitude: 524 m) and the Felswildnis as Wüstes Schloss. Also a brook named Ratzschbach (Czech: hradschin = castle) south of Wachstein. In 1850, the geographer Schiffner reported the remains of the fortress wall.

The region was changed by the mining industry in 1386. The northern part had iron-salt rock and copper and silver were mined near Erdmannsdorf. These findings lured miners from Freiberg and Ehrenfriedsdorf and onward from Thuringia and Harz. The last pit was closed in 1889 with the exploitation of silver.

In 1463, Gottleuba received municipal law. Before 1459, Guttleuba's boundaries were decided the Bohemians of the Marks of Meißen.

In the 16th century, Gottleubaer developed guilds with special commercial laws (for example, holding of spring and autumn markets and grant of weekly markets).

Wars, disease, large town fires in 1746 and 1865 and the flood disasters of 1552, 1897 and 1927 and 1957 again brought considerable setbacks to the city.

A recuperation centre belonging to the Landesversicherungsanstalt Sachsen was built in Gottleuba and became Bad Gottleuba.

Since 1991, the sanatorium which is named Gesundheitspark Bad Gottleuba has been under the charge of TRIA Immobilienanlagen und Verwaltungs-GmbH in Berlin. In1965 and 1974, the flood protection in the Gottleuba valley which had been needed since the beginning of the century was built. The Gottleuba Dam covers 52 m and 327 m long. The water surface covers 1.74 km².

Berggießhübel

Coat of arms of Berggießhübel
main street in Berggießhübel

Berggießhübel was first mentioned as Gißhobel in 1450. The name has two origins, Bei Hey (The Slavic settlements in the kingdom of Saxony - 1893, hubil meaning elevation of hill, the Old High German giozo, Middle High German gieze and Southern German Gieß, Gießen meaning waterfall and not from the German word gießhütten. (references: Landesverein Sächsischer Heimatschutz - Volume XVI - 1927) that the name means the mountain where ore is melted and poured. Since the place had already existed before the beginning of the mining industry, the interpretation of Hey is correct.

It was considered for a long time as appendage of Gottleuba might not has existed before 1400. In 1501, it was called Gishobell das durffm onlyin 1542 is from stetlein and finally in 1548 from stedtlein Bergk Gießhobel.

In 1648 during the Thirty Years' War, the iron mines and hammer works were very nearly overrun.

In 1717, water was found with a propulsion of a lug. It received brewing rights.

In 1813, French troops occupied the place and caused considerable damage. In 1822, the business was rebuilt by Friedrich August Freiherr von Leyßer.

With the building of a railway line from Pirna over the Langenhennersdorf to Bergießhübel on July 17, 1880, the region was opened. In 1905, the railway until Gottleuba was opened.

In 1993, the MEDIAN-klinik was opened in the area of Friedrichstal.

In 1999, Bergießhübel and Bad Gottleuba became Bad Gottleuba-Berggießhübel.

Langenhennersdorf and Bahra

[[File:Langenhennersdorf Rittergut (01) 2007-01-26.jpg|thumb

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.