World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Baronci Altarpiece

Article Id: WHEBN0007317135
Reproduction Date:

Title: Baronci Altarpiece  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Raphael, 1501 paintings, Madonna del Prato (Raphael), Paintings of the Louvre, Madonna and Child with the Book
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Baronci Altarpiece

Angel (fragment of the Baronci altarpiece)
Artist Raphael
Year 1500–1501
Type Oil on wood
Dimensions 31 cm × 27 cm (12 in × 11 in)
Location Pinacoteca Civica Tosio Martinengo, Brescia

The Baronci Altarpiece was a painting by the Italian High Renaissance artist Raphael. His first recorded commission, it was made for Andrea Baronci's chapel in the church of Sant'Agostino in Città di Castello, near Urbino. The altarpiece was seriously damaged during an earthquake in 1789, and since 1849 fragments of the original painting have been part of different collections.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Surviving fragments 2
  • References 3
  • External links 4

History

On December 10, 1500, Raphael and Evangelista da Pian di Meleto, an older painter from the workshop of Raphael's father Giovanni Santi, received the commission to paint jointly a large altarpiece dedicated to Saint Nicholas of Tolentino, for the Baronci chapel in the Sant'Agostino Church in Città di Castello. In the documents Raphael, not his collaborator, is referred to as magister ("master"). The work on the paintings was completed on September 13, 1501.

In the center of the painting Nicholas of Tolentino stood in an archway, with the devil at his feet. Next to him were three angels. Above him God the Father was placed with a crown in his hand, and surrounded by the heads of angels. On his left the Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint Augustine were painted.

During a heavy earthquake in 1789 the painting was damaged so severely that it was decided to saw it into pieces and display only the undamaged parts. In the same year, the fragments were acquired by Pope Pius VI for the collections of the Vatican, where they remained until 1849. It is unclear what happened to them after that. Only many years later scholars were able to trace back six different pieces, four fragments of the main painting and two predellas, which had become part of different collections.

An impression of the complete work is given by an 18th-century copy in the Pinacoteca Comunale, Città di Castello. Preliminary sketches by Raphael can be found in the Palais des Beaux-Arts de Lille, Lille and the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. On the basis of these drawings it is assumed that the design of the altar was entirely Raphael's work, whereas in the execution he was joined by Evangelista da Pian di Meleto. While Raphael probably painted the altarpiece itself, the predellas are attributed to Pian di Meleto.

Angel (fragment of the Baronci altarpiece)
Artist Raphael
Year 1500–1501
Type Oil on wood
Dimensions 57 cm × 36 cm (22 in × 14 in)
Location Louvre, Paris

Surviving fragments

Fragments of the main altarpiece:

Predellas:

  • Saint Nicholas of Tolentino Restoring Two Partridges to Life, 29.2 x 54.0 cm. Detroit, Institute of Art.
  • Saint Nicholas of Tolentino Rescuing a Boy from Drowning, 26.7 x 51.8 cm. Detroit, Institute of Art.

References

Based on the article from the German WorldHeritage, which in turn gives as its sources:

External links

  • Predellas attributed to the Circle of Perugino in the DIA's collection
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.