World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Batei Ungarin

Article Id: WHEBN0002849784
Reproduction Date:

Title: Batei Ungarin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Batei Munkacs, Neighbourhoods of Jerusalem, Katamon, Shimon HaTzadik, Givat Massuah
Collection: Neighbourhoods of Jerusalem, Orthodox Jewish Communities in Jerusalem
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Batei Ungarin

Batei Ungarin

Batei Ungarin (Hebrew: בתי אונגרין‎) (lit. Hungarian Houses) is a Haredi neighborhood in Jerusalem. It was built by Kolel Ungarin, a Hungarian Jewish charity supporting Jews living in the Land of Israel.

History

Batei Ungarin was established in 1891. By World War I, there were 100 homes, a synagogue, a beit midrash and a mikveh. [1] The original inhabitants of the neighborhood came from Hungary, and many of the residents who live there today can trace their lineage to Hungary. [2] A major Hasidic group called Toldos Aharon has its headquarters on the edge of Batei Ungarin.

References

  1. ^ Jerusalem and its Environs: Quarters, Neighborhoods, Villages, 1800-1948, Ruth Kark and Michal Oren-Nordheim, p. 104
  2. ^ Tourist attractions at your front door, Jerusalem Post

External links

  • Ashkenazi Jewish Almhouses in Jerusalem

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.