World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Battle of Lambusart

Battle of Lambusart
Part of War of the First Coalition
Date 12–16 June 1794
Location Fleurus, Belgium
Result Pyrrhic Austro-Dutch victory
Belligerents
Dutch Republic
Habsburg Austria
Republican France
Commanders and leaders
Prince of Orange Jean Jourdan
Strength
41,000 73,000
Casualties and losses
3,000 3,000, 8 guns

The Battle of Lambusart (12–16 June 1794) saw a Republican French army led by Jean Baptiste Jourdan try to cross the Sambre River against a combined Dutch and Habsburg Austrian army under William, Hereditary Prince of Orange. The French were repulsed in the fourth of five attempts to consolidate a foothold on the north side of the Sambre. The clash occurred during the War of the First Coalition, part of a wider struggle known as the Wars of the French Revolution. In 1794 Lambusart was an independent village, but it is now part of the Fleurus municipality. Lambusart is located about 10 kilometres (6 mi) northeast of Charleroi.

Three times during the spring of 1794 the French armies attempted to cross the Sambre in the face of resistance by First Coalition forces. The French were turned back at Grandreng on 13 May, Erquelinnes on 24 May and Gosselies on 3 June. On the last occasion the French were able to briefly lay siege to the fortress of Charleroi. Meanwhile, Jourdan was detached from the Army of the Moselle with four divisions and moved toward the fighting on the Sambre. After arriving with large reinforcements on 4 June, Jourdan assumed control of the Army of the Ardennes and the right wing of the Army of the North. On 12 June, the French crossed the Sambre and laid siege to Charleroi for the second time. On the 16th, the Prince of Orange attacked and broke the French right flank, forcing Jourdan to lift the siege and withdraw south of the Sambre. The final showdown along the Sambre would come at the Battle of Fleurus on 26 June 1794.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.