World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bellevue (Washington, D.C.)

 

Bellevue (Washington, D.C.)

Map of Washington, D.C., with Bellevue highlighted in red. Note that Bellevur also includes the land to the west and south of the red area.

Bellevue is a residential neighborhood in far SW Washington, DC. It is bounded by South Capitol Street to the north and east, Joliet and First Streets to the south, and the Potomac River to the west. A portion of Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, the Naval Research Laboratory, the Blue Plains Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant, Specialty Hospital of Washington-Hadley, the Metropolitan Police Academy, Washington Firefighters Training Center, a federal Job Corps center, and the Architect of the Capitol's Botanic Garden's production facility (greenhouse) are located in Bellevue. Mezzo-soprano opera singer Denyce Graves and country singer Roy Clark hail from the Bellevue neighborhood.

The area was named Bellevue by Thomas Grafton Addison, who purchased the land in 1795 and built a mansion there.[1] Old city maps and land permit records going back to 1880s designated this area of SW as labeled "Bell View"/"Bellevue"--"beautiful view" in French. Most residential development occurred in the 1950s and 1960s. Once a thriving commercial hub, Bellevue declined during the mass exodus of the middle class in the 1980s. It is on the cusp of revitalization. The most recent addition to the neighborhood is the $15M world class, David Adjaye designed edifice to replace the former Washington Highlands Library. The area surrounding the library was undeveloped farm land when Washington Highlands was built in 1959. The DC Board of Library Trustees voted in July 2011 to rename the new building Bellevue after the neighborhood where it is properly located. Over $150M in commercial mixed-use development is in the pipeline along South Capitol and Atlantic Streets, the heart of the Bellevue Business District.

References

  1. ^ "Prehistoric Artifacts Open Window to the Past at NRL". U.S. Naval Research Laboratory. 28 July 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014. 



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.