World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Berovo

Article Id: WHEBN0001435264
Reproduction Date:

Title: Berovo  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Berovo Municipality, List of cities in the Republic of Macedonia, Ilyo Voyvoda, Cities in the Republic of Macedonia, List of people from Berovo
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Berovo

Berovo
Берово
Flag of Berovo
Flag
Official seal of Berovo
Seal
Berovo is located in Republic of Macedonia
Berovo
Berovo
Location within Macedonia
Coordinates:
Country  Macedonia
Municipality Berovo Municipality
Government
 • Mayor Dragi Nadzinski (VMRO-DPMNE)
Elevation 986 m (3,235 ft)
Population ()
 • Total 7,002
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 2330
Area code(s) +389 033
Car plates KO
Climate Cfb
Website www.berovo.gov.mk/

Berovo (Macedonian: Берово ) is a small town near the Maleševo Mountains, 161 km (100 mi) from Skopje, 47 km (29 mi) from Strumica and 52 km (32 mi) from Kočani, in the Republic of Macedonia. It is the seat of Berovo Municipality.

Contents

  • Demographics 1
  • History 2
  • Features 3
  • Culture 4
    • Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael 4.1
    • Female monastery 4.2

Demographics

There are 7,002 residents in the town of Berovo.

History

In the late 19th and early 20th century, Berovo was part of the Kosovo Vilayet of the Ottoman Empire. As a result of the Balkan Wars, the town was included in the area ceded in 1913 to the Kingdom of Serbia, which in 1918 joined the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (renamed Kingdom of Yugoslavia in 1929). From 1929 to 1941, Berovo was part of the Vardar Banovina of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. From 1941 to 1944, during the Axis occupation of Yugoslavia, Berovo, as most of Vardar Macedonia, was annexed by the Kingdom of Bulgaria.

Features

Berovo Lake

Sustained by the Bregalnica River, Berovo stands at 830–900 m (2,723–2,953 ft) above sea level and can be reached by car using a single asphalt road leading to the city. Berovo lake and the forest of the Maleshevo Mountains are two popular sites for tourists and Berovo craftsmen are well known for their skill in traditional wood crafting. Berovo cheese is also a well-known commodity.

Culture

Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael

Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael

The first monastery in Berovo was built between 1815 until it was consecrated in 1818. Enlightener Joachim Krcovski was among those present at the consecration. Historical data concerning the construction of the church and the monastery is inconclusive, but it is known that circumstances were very difficult.

In the early 19th century Berovo was a rural settlement with around two hundred houses and one small church that had fallen into decay. The inhabitants at the time decided to have a new church built at the site known as Mogila. The parish priest, Friar Peco, was assigned to obtain a building permit from the Turkish authorities in Radoviš. The Turkish governor Vali gave a building permit but made sure to set conditions for construction of the church as difficult as possible. The church was to be built low, below the road level and not to be seen, construction was to end in forty days, and Fr Peco was to give his youngest daughter, Sultana, to the harem. The people of the town prevailed and the church building was finished and covered with stone blocks, soot, and lime (so as not to be noticed) in 40 days. Seeing that the church had been completed, Vali immediately ordered the deaths of three church elders in front of the church, and since Sultana had fled to Kyustendil, Friar Peco was imprisoned for three years. When Sultana found out that Vali had been murdered by komitas, she promptly returned to Berovo.

Female monastery

Monastery in Berovo

The first female monastery, located at the exit from Berovo leading to the dam and the lake, was built in 1940 in a 19th-century architectural opus, twenty years after the construction of the Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael, and the first nuns were the daughter-in-law and the daughter of Friar Risto, a son-in-law of Friar Peco. They had their monastic tonsure (removal of the hair of the head) with a blessing from the Rila Monastery's abbott. Eugenia I was the first abbess of the monastery, the second – Eugenia II, the third – Eugenia III, and the fourth abbess was Eulampia in 1958 by the first Archbishop of Ohrid, Dositheus. At its peak, in the first half of the twentieth century, the monastery numbered up to sixty nuns, with a rich and developed economy,

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.