World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brackett Field

Article Id: WHEBN0005460673
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brackett Field  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: La Verne, California, Los Angeles County Department of Public Works, Los Angeles County, California, KPOC, Brackett
Collection: Airports in Los Angeles County, California, La Verne, California
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brackett Field

Brackett Field
ICAO: KPOC
Summary
Airport type Public
Operator County of Los Angeles
Location La Verne, California
Elevation AMSL 1,014 ft / 309 m
Coordinates
Runways
Direction Length Surface
ft m
8L/26R 3,661 1,116 Asphalt
8R/26L 4,840 1,475 Asphalt

Brackett Field (ICAO: KPOC) is a public airport located one mile (2 km) southwest of La Verne, in Los Angeles County, California, USA. It was named after Dr. Frank Parkhurst Brackett (1865–1951).

History

Brackett Field, named after Frank Parkhurst Brackett, one of the original professors at Pomona College who started working at the college in the late 1800s, has a long, celebrated history. In 1911, Calbraith Perry, “C.P.,” Rogers landed his Wright Flyer Biplane nicknamed the “Vin Fiz,” after the carbonated soda produced by the sponsor of the first across the United States flight, near what are now two parallel runways. Brackett Field originally consisted of a dirt strip cut out of a field in the late ‘30s. The original runway was 2,600 feet of dirt and there was a school for student pilots from Pomona College. Later, the Civil Air Patrol, then a paramilitary branch of the U.S. Air Force, used Brackett Field for operations during World War II. In 1957 the county took over the airport and has owned it since that time.[1]

Brackett, located about an hour east of the studios in Hollywood, California, has been used for location filming of scenes for a number of TV series and movies. These include Wings of Fire, Airport 1975, Spencer's Pilots (CBS, 1974–1975) The Tim Conway Show and others.

Actor Kent McCord worked for a Fixed Base Operator on the north side of Brackett in the late 1950s.

The field was also the starting point of the Powder Puff Derby in 1974.

Brackett originally had only one runway (26 / 8), which was paved and had paved taxiways, one on each side. The control tower was built in the late 1960s. In the 1980s, increased traffic (due to the loss of other general aviation airports in the area to urban encroachment) led to the northern taxiway being replaced by a second runway (26R / 8L), which forced the relocation of the control tower a few feet to the north.

Most of the development of the field prior to the 1980s was on the south side, where the Administration Building ("Ad Building") is located. These developments included a Cessna dealership, flying schools and other facilities such as the first metal hangars on the field.

A large, wooden hangar was built on the north side of the field, to house such operations as a Piper dealership and aircraft repair. The hangar burned down circa 1960, was rebuilt, then burned down again about 10 years later, was again rebuilt, then demolished a few years after that to make way for more modern facilities.

Since the 1960s, Brackett has been the home base of Civil Air Patrol (Air Force Auxiliary) Squadron 64.

References

  1. ^ "La Verne Magazine - Tales from the runway". Laverne.edu. 2009-02-01. Retrieved 2011-11-06. 

External links

  • FAA Airport Diagram (PDF), effective June 23, 2016
  • Resources for this airport:
    • FAA airport information for POC
    • AirNav airport information for KPOC
    • ASN accident history for POC
    • FlightAware airport information and live flight tracker
    • NOAA/NWS latest weather observations
    • SkyVector aeronautical chart, Terminal Procedures
  • Whiteman Airport Association Newsletter
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.