World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brunswick Square

Article Id: WHEBN0000531075
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brunswick Square  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bloomsbury, Brunswick Centre, International Hall, London, Squares in Camden, Henry Poole & Co
Collection: Bloomsbury, Squares in Camden
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brunswick Square

Brunswick Square, Bloomsbury
Brunswick Square

Brunswick Square is a public garden in Bloomsbury, in the London Borough of Camden. It is overlooked by the School of Pharmacy and the Foundling Museum to the north and the Brunswick Centre to the west. South of it lies International Hall (a hall of residence of the University of London), and on its west side are the two separate but related children's charities, Coram Family and Coram's Fields.

What is now Brunswick Square was originally fields that were part of the grounds of the Foundling Hospital. It was planned to be leased for housebuilding, along with Mecklenburgh Square, to raise funds for the hospital in 1790. Brunswick Square, named after Caroline of Brunswick, was finished first, being built by James Burton in 1795–1802; none of the houses remain.[1]

Leafy squares characterise the Bloomsbury district of London. Mecklenburgh Square is a matching square to the east. Russell Square is the nearest tube station to the south-west.

In Jane Austen's book Emma, the characters of Mr. and Mrs. John Knightley make their residence in Brunswick Square.

John Ruskin was born at 54 Hunter Street, Brunswick Square in 1819.

The writer E.M. Forster used 26 Brunswick Square as his London base from 1930 to 1939.[2]

References

  1. ^ UCL Bloomsbury Project: Brunswick Square
  2. ^ David Bradshaw, ed (2007). "Chronology". The Cambridge Companion to E. M. Forster. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-83475-9

External links

  • Brunswick Square information from Camden Council
  • LondonTown.com information


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.