World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Cedar Creek Wind Farm

Cedar Creek Wind Farm I & II
Cedar Creek Wind Farm is located in Colorado
Cedar Creek Wind Farm
Location of Cedar Creek Wind Farm I & II in Colorado
Location 13km E of Grover, Colorado, United States
Coordinates
Status Operational
Construction began 2007
Commission date 21 November 2007
Construction cost US$480 million
Owner(s) Cedar Creek Wind Energy, LLC (Cedar Creek I - Infigen Energy (67%) & BP Energy (33%; Cedar Creek II - BP Wind Energy (50%) & Sempra Generation (50%))
Operator(s) Infigen Energy (Cedar Creek I) and BP Wind Energy (Cedar Creek II)
Wind farm
Type Onshore
Avg. site elevation 1674m
Power generation
Units operational 397 - Total
274 - Cedar Creek I
123 - Cedar Creek II
Make and model Mitsubishi, GE, Nordex
221x 1MW Mitsubishi MWT-1000
53x 1.5MW GE 1.5s/sle
63x 1.6MW GE
60x 2.5MW Nordex
Nameplate capacity 551.3MW - Total
300.5MW - Cedar Creek I
250.8MW - Cedar Creek II

The Cedar Creek Wind Farm is a 551.3MW, 397 wind turbine facility, consists of 2 phases, Cedar Creek I and Cedar Creek II, located 13 km (8 miles) east of Grover in north-central Weld County, Colorado, which became fully operational with the completion of Cedar Creek II in 2010. The initial 300.5 megawatt (MW) Cedar Creek I wind power installation was completed on time, within budget and without incident - with the operation commencing on 21 November 2007. Cedar Creek I is an important contributor to Colorado's New Energy Economy, providing enough wind-powered electricity for 81,135 homes.[1] The power produced from the Cedar Creek wind farm is sold to the Public Service Company of Colorado. Cedar Creek II has an additional 250.8MW of generating capacity, and was commissioned in 2010.

The first phase has 221 1MW wind turbines (produced by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) and 53 1.5MW turbines (produced by General Electric),[2] and the second phase has an additional 63 1.6MW SLE turbines from General Electric, and 60 2.5MW from German wind turbine supplier Nordex.

The Cedar Creek Wind Farm I is owned by Cedar Creek Wind Energy LLC which is a conglomerate group with Infigen Energy owning 67% and BP Wind Energy the other 33%.[3]

The Cedar Creek Wind Farm II is owned by BP Wind Energy (50%) and Sempra Generation (50%).[4] The power from the Cedar Creek 2 Wind Farm has been sold under a long-term power purchase agreement to the Public Service Company of Colorado, an Xcel Energy company. Electricity from the Cedar Creek II Wind Farm reaches the grid through approximately 20 miles of new transmission lines that connect to the Cedar Creek I Wind Farm. From there, the project utilizes an existing 76-mile (230kV) transmission line to deliver the electrical power. The Cedar Creek II project employed some 350 workers during peak construction, and some 19 jobs have been created to monitor and maintain the facility.

See also

References

  1. ^ Cedar Creek Wind Farm I Project Info PDF
  2. ^ Cedar Creek Wind Farm page, power-technology.com
  3. ^
  4. ^
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.