World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Città di Castello

Article Id: WHEBN0000442692
Reproduction Date:

Title: Città di Castello  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Alberto Burri, Fabio Catacchini, Monica Bellucci, Battle of Tifernum, Francesco Vitelli
Collection: Cities and Towns in Umbria, Roman Sites of Umbria
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Città di Castello

Città di Castello
Comune
Comune di Città di Castello
Coat of arms of Città di Castello
Coat of arms
Città di Castello is located in Italy
Città di Castello
Location of Città di Castello in Italy
Coordinates:
Country Italy
Region Umbria
Province Perugia
Frazioni see list
Government
 • Mayor Luciano Bacchetta (PSI)
Area
 • Total 387.53 km2 (149.63 sq mi)
Elevation 288 m (945 ft)
Population (30 April 2010)
 • Total 40,479
 • Density 100/km2 (270/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Tifernati or Castellani
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 06010, 06011, 06012, 06018
Dialing code 075
Patron saint Saint Florido
Saint day November 13
Website Official website

Città di Castello (Italian pronunciation: ) is a city and comune in the province of Perugia, in the northern part of the Umbria region of Italy. It is situated on a slope of the Apennines, on the flood plain of the river Tiber. The city is 56 km (35 mi) north of Perugia and 104 km (65 mi) south of Cesena on the S3bis. It is connected to the A1 highway by the SS 73 from Arezzo (17 mi). Città di Castello has an exclave named Monte Ruperto within Marche.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Main sights 2
  • Famous inhabitants 3
  • Frazioni 4
  • Twin towns 5
  • Notes 6
  • Sources and external links 7

History

The town was founded by the Umbri tribes. The Romans knew it as Tifernum Tiberinum ("Tifernum on the Tiber")[1] or Civitas Tiberina. Just nearby, Pliny the Younger built his villa in Tuscis, which is identified with walls, mosaic floors and marble fragments surviving at a place now called Colle Plinio, the "Hill of Pliny". The town may have come into conflict with the Etruscans.[2]

In 550 AD, Tifernum was largely destroyed during the Cesare Borgia attached the city more directly to the Holy See.

In subsequent centuries, it had various rulers, among them Pier Saccone Tarlati di Pietramala, brother of Guido, Bishop of Arezzo. Pier Saccone sold it in 1322 to Guido Alberto de' Guidi di Modigliana.In Middle Ages the Diocese of Citta' di Castello included also many territories that are today in the provinces of Arezzo, Pesaro and Rimini. In the later Middle Ages it was governed successively by the Guelphs and Ghibellines. In 1375, Città di Castello joined the insurrection of other cities of the States of the Church. Cardinal Robert of Geneva (later antipope as Clement VII), tried to capture it using Breton mercenaries, but was repulsed. Under Pope Martin V in 1420, it was taken by the condottiero Braccio da Montone. Later Niccolò Vitelli, aided by Florence and Milan, became absolute ruler or tiranno. Antonio da Sangallo the Younger built an extensive palace for the Vitelli family.

In 1474, Sixtus IV sent his nephew, Cardinal Giuliano della Rovere (later Julius II); after fruitless negotiations he laid siege to the city, but Vitelli did not surrender until he learned that the command of the army had been given to Duke Federico III da Montefeltro. The following year Vitelli tried unsuccessfully to recapture the city; fear of Cesare Borgia induced him to desist, since Cesare Borgia had his father strangled and Città di Castello added to the papal possessions.

Towards the end of the twentieth century, the city has seen a considerable expansion northwards toward San Giustino, with industrial parks tracking the river, railroad and main highway: the area produces farm machinery, textiles, ceramics and furnishings.

Main sights

The city is mostly built of brick, since the local sandstone erodes very rapidly. Its principal monuments include the medieval Palazzo Comunale and a tall thin tower, the Torre Comunale; and the Pinacoteca Comunale, an art museum with mostly Giorgio Vasari.

The much reworked cathedral, now mostly from the 18th century with an unfinished 17th century façade, has an altar-front (paliotto) of chased silver dating to the 12th century, and a crosier from the 15th. It also houses works by Niccolò Circignani, Rosso Fiorentino and Raffaellino del Colle. The bell tower is in Romanesque style (13th century). The Cathedral's museum is home to the Canoscio hoard, a set of Late Antique silver spoons and plates with Christian motifs, as well as a silvered altarpiece donated by Pope Celestine V in the 12th century, a Madonna by Pinturicchio (1486) and Angels by Giulio Romano.

The city has memorialized the abstract painter and sculptor Alberto Burri, who was born in Città di Castello, with the "Fondazione Palazzo Albizzini Collezione Burri" housing a large permanent museum of his works in the former Palazzo Albizzini.

Famous inhabitants

For persons from the city, see People from Città di Castello. In addition, the following are believed to have had a local connection, usually through long residence there:

Frazioni

Antirata, Astucci, Badiali, Badia Petroia, Barzotti, Baucca, San Martino d'Upò, Belvedere, Bisacchi, Bonsciano, Caifirenze, Candeggio, Canoscio, Capitana, Celle, Cerbara, Cinquemiglia, Colcello, Coldipozzo, Cornetto, Croce di Castiglione, Fabbrecce, Fiume, Fraccano, Grumale, Lerchi, Lugnano, Madonna di Canoscio, Marchigliano, Montemaggiore, Monte Ruperto, Morra, Muccignano, Nuvole, Palazzone, Petrelle,pettinari, Piosina, Promano, Riosecco, Roccagnano, Ronti, Rovigliano, San Leo Bastia, San Biagio del Cornetto, San Lorenzo Bibbiana, San Maiano, San Martin Pereto, San Martino di Castelvecchio, San Pietro a Monte, San Secondo, Santa Lucia, Scalocchio, Seripole, Terme di Fontecchio, Titta,Trestina, Uppiano, Userna, Userna Bassa, Valdipetrina, Vallurbana, Vingone, Volterrano.

Twin towns

Notes

  1. ^ The name distinguished it from Tifernum Mataurense and Tifernum on the Sannio. (Guida d'Italia)
  2. ^ Pliny the Elder, Book III, chap. 19, paragraphs 112-113. Also at wikisource latina

Sources and external links

  • YouTube.com
  • Newadvent.org  
  • Touring Club Italiano, 1966. Guida d'Italia: Umbria pp136–42.
  • Official homepage (in Italian) (in English)
  • Bill Thayer's site
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.