World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Cleveland Tower

This watercolor shows Cleveland Tower as seen from just outside Procter Hall at the Old Graduate College in the noon autumn sun.

Cleveland Tower, designed by Ralph Adams Cram, is a prominent landmark of Princeton University. It is one of the defining architectural features of the Collegiate Gothic Graduate College, inspired by Boston College's Gasson Hall. The tower was built in 1913 as a memorial to former U.S. President Grover Cleveland, who also served as a university trustee. A bust of the former president is the centerpiece of the grand chamber at the tower's ground level.

Class of 1892 Bells

The tower's carillon was dedicated on June 17, 1927. The class of 1892 presented the bells as their 35th reunion gift to the university. The English foundry Gillett & Johnston cast the original 35 bells. A plaque near the tower's entrance reads:[1]

The Class of Eighteen Ninety Two presents the carillon in this tower to Princeton University with love and gratitude and the hope that its bells may ever inspire coming generations of Princeton men to maintain the traditions of their alma mater in the service of God and of their country


After decades of varying use and maintenance, the bells were rededicated on June 13, 1993. The Class of 1892 Bells are now one of the largest carillons in the world with 67 bells and a bourdon (G) weighing 12,880 pounds. The Chapel Music Program maintains the carillon program with assistance from an endowment by the class of 1892.[2] The bells play Sunday afternoons and Wednesday evenings, except during exam periods. The summer programs include performances by international guests. A carillon practice room is also housed in the Graduate College basement.

Lisa J. Lonie, University Carillonneur, is the only fourth carillonneur in the instrument's +80 year history and the first female to hold the position.

See also

American Collegiate Gothic towers:

References

  1. ^ Transcription to WorldHeritage from first-hand witness, David Liao, July 28, 2007
  2. ^ "Princeton University Carillon in Cleveland Tower", Accessed July 28, 2007
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.