Coat of arms of bremen

Coat of arms of Bremen
Versions
Middle coat of arms of Bremen
Armiger Free Hanseatic City of Bremen
Crest A leaf coronet of five.
Escutcheon Gules, a key Argent
Supporters Two lions rampant reguardant Or, langued Gules
Compartment A postament Or

This article is about the coat of arms of the German state Free Hanseatic City of Bremen and the city of Bremen.

Description

From the Bremen Official Website:

The Coat-of-Arms of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen shows a silver key on a red shield. The key is the attribute of Simon Petrus, patron saint of the Bremen Cathedral, and it was first represented in the seal of the City of Bremen in 1366, after its liberation from the occupation by Prince-Archbishop Albert II, and later became the main element of the city's coat-of-arms.[1]

History

Officially, the coat of arms was confirmed by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1811. This is the only coat of arms featuring the historical colours of Bremen, and the three bees, symbols of the Napoleonic Empire as part of the tradition of the Franks. Representations of bees were 1653 in the grave of Erich I. They are meant to act as a symbol of France's oldest and stand for immortality and rebirth. It was therefore a great honor when Napoleon gave the bees to the city, in the red and gold colours of his family.

Before and after the Napoleonic era, the red and white colours of the Hanseatic cities were more important, starting in the 16th century. At this time, the shield was supported by angels, but from 1568, however, they were replaced by lions. In 1617 a helmet was added, but it was never officially part of the coat of arms. The crown on the coat of arms dates from the late 16th century.

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.