World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

College Avenue Gymnasium

Article Id: WHEBN0004087807
Reproduction Date:

Title: College Avenue Gymnasium  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rutgers University, Rutgers Scarlet Knights football, Rutgers Scarlet Knights, Rutgers Scarlet Knights men's basketball, 1869 New Jersey vs. Rutgers football game
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

College Avenue Gymnasium

College Avenue Gymnasium
The Barn
Location 130 College Ave
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Owner Rutgers University
Operator Rutgers University
Capacity 3,200 (approx.)
Construction
Broke ground 1930
Opened 1931
Tenants
Rutgers College Rec Services
Rutgers Scarlet Knights
(wrestling & volleyball)
The College Avenue Gymnasium interior during a 2009 political campaign rally

The College Avenue Gymnasium is an athletic facility on the campus of Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

It is the second gymnasium built on the site. The first was built in 1892 on the site of College Field, the former RU football field. The first collegiate game of American football was played on the site on November 6, 1869, with Rutgers beating Princeton University, 6 goals to 4 (roughly 42–28 under today's scoring).

The old gym burned down in 1930, and the replacement went up in 1931. Officially, it is the College Avenue Gymnasium, but it is known to the RU community as "The Barn." Most of the seating is in the form of a balcony on three sides, upstairs from the court level, giving the gym one of the most intimate settings in Eastern college basketball while it was RU's main venue for the sport. Seating capacity has been approximately 3,200 throughout its existence. There is an annex attached to the side of the gym that sport courts for basketball indoor soccer and a variety of other sports. The Barn has a rock climbing wall and provides willing students with lessons. The Barn also has a room used solely for those interested in kickboxing or mixed martial arts in general. There is also a room with multiple Olympic weightlifting platforms complete bumper plates, which are in kilograms, for both beginners and advanced lifters. Both the kickboxing room and the Olympic weightlifting room are deemed "The Power Gym" and are located off of The Barn's main weight-room.

Rutgers reached its only NCAA Final Four in the 1975–76 season, going undefeated until losing to the University of Michigan in the National Semifinal. Home games at The Barn became festive affairs, with the crowd yelling so loudly that paint chips fell from the ceiling. RU knew it was time to build a bigger home court, and the Rutgers Athletic Center was built across the Raritan River in Piscataway in time for the 1977–78 season. It was renamed the Louis Brown Athletic Center in 1986.

The College Avenue Gym remains the home of RU's wrestling and volleyball teams, the Rutgers University Dance Marathon, as well as gym facilities for students, and there are no plans to replace it.

The current New Jersey State Constitution was written and adopted in a convention held at the College Avenue Gym in 1947. The Jerry Garcia Band played a show at The Barn on February 22, 1980.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.