World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cork North Infirmary

Article Id: WHEBN0015669774
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cork North Infirmary  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: National Software Centre, Kennedy Park (Cork, Ireland), Cork Medical Centre, Grand Parade, Cork, South Mall, Cork
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cork North Infirmary

The North Infirmary in Cork was established in 1744 by the members of a musical society, who appropriated their surplus funds for its support. It was recognized by an Act of Parliament passed in 1752.

Funding

By the 1830s, it was supported by a Grand Jury presentment of £250, a grant of £50 from the government and voluntary subscriptions, all which together, with funded property arising from bequests, amounted to about £500 per year.[1]

Dental school

The Dental school in Cork was established in 1913 on a site adjoining the North Infirmary, as a combined initiative of University College Cork and the infirmary.

Closure of infirmary

The North Infirmary was closed in the late 20th century.

After the closure of the building as The North Infirmary Hospital, the next few years the building was never out of the news. The legal ownership was being questioned. Vandals wrecked the vacant building. A fire badly damaged the ground floor, it was declared a derelict building and there were calls to have it demolished.

Then two million pounds was paid to redevelop the building into The Shandon Court, which was aimed at the corporate and business sector. After a few years the Choice Hotel Group took over and extended the building to give it 101 guest rooms, a bar, 2 meeting rooms, a restaurant and a state of the art leisure club. Finally, Dalata Ltd purchased the hotel and in 2008 the Maldron Hotel Cork was launched.

The Irishness of the Maldron Hotel is evident. When compared to the function of its predecessor, The North Infirmary, today’s hotel is the same but different: one is made welcome and one returns home happy.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.