Crawford Municipal Art Gallery

Crawford Art Gallery is a National Cultural Institution public art gallery located in the heart of the city of Cork, Ireland. The Crawford Art Gallery is dedicated to historic and contemporary art, and welcomes over 200,000 visitors a year.

Since 1979 the Gallery has been located in the centre of Cork in what used to be the Cork Customs House, built in 1724. The building was substantially extended in 2000 and is now a striking composition of Georgian poise and modern elegance.

There is a permanent collection of European and Irish art along with a collection of casts of classical Greek and Roman statues cast by Antonio Canova and brought to Cork from the Vatican in 1818. The Royal Cork Institution acquired these from the Society of Fine Arts in Cork who were given them by the Prince Regent later George IV. He in turn had received them from Pope Pius VII who had commissioned Antonio Canova to make a set of plasters from statues in the Vatican.

The Gallery also hosts temporary and travelling exhibitions and has education and outreach programmes.

See also

External links

  • The Crawford Art Gallery website
  • The Crawford Gallery extension on Irish-architecture.com

Template:Cork City


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.