World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

De Havilland Doncaster

DH.29 Doncaster
J6849 in final form
Role long-range monoplane
Manufacturer de Havilland
First flight 5 July 1921
Primary user Air Ministry
Number built 2

The de Havilland DH.29 Doncaster was a British long-range monoplane of the 1920s built by de Havilland.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Operators 2
  • Specifications (military version) 3
  • References 4
  • External links 5

History

The DH.29 Doncaster was ordered by the British Air Ministry as an experimental long-range monoplane. The aircraft was a high-wing cantilever monoplane with unswept wing of wooden structure with a fabric covering. It had a box section wooden fuselage with a single fin. The crew of two were in an open cockpit ahead of the wing. Two aircraft were built between 1920 and 1921 at Stag Lane Aerodrome. Early testing of the first aircraft (Serial J6849) resulted in a redesign of the engine installation. The second aircraft (Registered G-EAYO) was built as a 10-seat commercial aircraft. The airlines were not interested in an untried monoplane and further development was abandoned and effort was put into the de Havilland DH.34 with a biplane configuration. A proposed military reconnaissance version, the DH.30, was never built.

The two aircraft finished their life at RAF Martlesham Heath on tests and trials particularly on the thick-section cantilever wings. The Doncaster was the first British aircraft to use thick-section cantilever wings.

Operators

 United Kingdom

Specifications (military version)

General characteristics

Performance

References

  • The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982–1985). Orbis Publishing. 
  • Jackson, A.J. (1974). British Civil Aircraft since 1919 Volume 2. London: Putnam.  

External links

  • "The D.H.29 Monoplane" FLIGHT, 29 September 1921, pages 641/647, detailed photos and drawings
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.