World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Douglas, Cork

Article Id: WHEBN0008140201
Reproduction Date:

Title: Douglas, Cork  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Cork Harbour, Donncha O'Callaghan, Turners Cross, Cork, Mahon, Cork, N28 road (Ireland), Ballinlough, Cork, Fountainstown, St Peter's Community School, Cork, Timeline of the Irish Civil War, Douglas
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Douglas, Cork

Template:Pad top italic
Populated place
Location in Ireland

Coordinates: 51°52′35″N 8°26′9″W / 51.87639°N 8.43583°W / 51.87639; -8.43583

Country Ireland
Province Munster
County County Cork
Population (2011)
 • Total 25,655
Time zone WET (UTC+0)
 • Summer (DST) IST (WEST) (UTC-1)

Douglas (Irish: Dúglas or Dúbhglas, meaning "dark stream") is a suburb of Cork city, Ireland and the name given to the Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland and Civil parish in which it is contained. As its borders are ill-defined and it straddles the boundary between Cork city and County Cork, it is difficult to ascertain the exact population. The CSO gives a figure of 19,787 [1] for the parts of Douglas that lie within Cork County. No figure is provided for the parts within Cork City, although the combined population of the Tramore A, Tramore B, Tramore C and Browningstown electoral divisions, which lie in Douglas, is 5,868.[2] This suggests a total population of 25,655


Douglas was first mentioned in documents in 1251. By the mid-seventeenth century, it had a population of 308 people (of whom 33 were English) and consisted of a number of large farms. The area began to develop as an urban settlement in the early eighteenth century with the opening of Donnybrook Mills in 1726. The mills produced sail-cloth and supplied sails to the British Royal Navy amongst other clients. Huguenot weavers and textile workers, such as the Bernard and Pollock brothers from Belfast, came to work in the area, along with skilled workers from Ulster and Scotland. Further textile mills opened in the nineteenth century, including Lane’s Corn and Hemp Mills (1845), O’Brien’s Brothers (St Patrick’s Woollen Mills, 1882) and Conroy’s Rope and Twine Mills (1892). Most of the mills ceased to operate in the early twentieth century, although St. Patrick's Woollen Mills and Donnybrook Mills continued to operate until the 1970s.

Some of the houses built for the mill workers are still in existence, including a terrace of houses near the junction of the Grange Road and Donnybrook Hill.

Douglas developed as a suburban area throughout the later eighteenth century and the nineteenth century and a number of 'big houses' were built nearby. These included Donnybrook House, Castletreasure House, Grange House, Maryborough House (now a hotel), Douglas Hall (one of the few remaining examples of a slate-fronted house in Ireland) and Mount Vernon which had one of the earliest examples of a domestic central-heating system installed in any house in Ireland.

St. Columba’s Roman Catholic church was built in 1814 and St. Luke’s Church of Ireland church was completed in 1889. In 1898, the Cork Electric Tramways and Lighting Company built a route from Cork City to Douglas. This operated until 1932 when it was replaced by a bus service.

In the second half of the twentieth century, Douglas underwent major changes as it became a suburb of Cork. A large amount of new housing was built and the area between Douglas and Cork City became entirely built-up. Schools, shopping centres, cinemas and other amenities developed to serve this new population. Douglas Community School (see below) was built in 1968 and the original Douglas Shopping Centre was completed in 1972. This shopping centre recently received a massive facelift, transforming the village. A second shopping centre, Douglas Court Shopping Centre, was built in the late 1980s and a 5-screen multiplex cinema was also built. Several hotels, including the Rochestown Park Hotel and Maryborough House Hotel were also developed. Douglas has two golf courses, Douglas Golf Club at Maryborough Hill and Frankfield Golf Club in Frankfield. The Frankfield course also contains a driving range.

The expansion of suburban residential development continued throughout the later part of the twentieth century and continues to the present day. Housing developments (mostly private, although there are some areas of social housing) have been built in Grange, Donnybrook, Frankfield, Maryborough, Rochestown, Mount Oval and along the two main roads connecting Douglas to Cork city, the Douglas Road and the South Douglas Road.

Shopping and Business

The village centre has two principal commercial streets, Douglas East and Douglas West, which are situated approximately 300m apart. However, most retail activity takes place in the two shopping centres, Douglas Shopping Centre (anchored by Tesco and Marks and Spencer) and Douglas Court Shopping Centre (anchored by Dunnes Stores).

Douglas was formerly the site of the headquarters of Cork and Limerick Savings Bank. However, this bank was merged into Trustee Savings Bank in 1992. The former headquarters was initially still used for regional administration, but this function was transferred to a new building in Cork Airport Business Park

A Farmers Market is held every Saturday outside Douglas Court Shopping Centre.

Notable residents



GAA clubs in the area include the Douglas GAA and Nemo Rangers hurling and football clubs.

In the 2004 and 2012 u10 community games dougles were a very strong side winning the cork community games then going on to win both the Munster community games and the all Ireland community games.

Association Football

Local association football (soccer) clubs include Tramore Athletic FC, Grangevale AFC, College Corinthians AFC and Douglas Hall AFC.


There are also local golf (and pitch and putt) clubs - notably: Douglas Golf Club, Frankfield Golf Club and Douglas Pitch and Putt Club.

Rugby Union

Douglas also has representation in rugby union. Douglas RFC was founded in 1979, while Cork Constitution lies on the borders of Douglas, Ballinlough and Beaumont.

Other Sports

  • Tennis (Douglas Tennis Club)
  • Basketball (Fr. Mathews Basketball Club)
  • Gymnastics (Douglas Gymnastics Club)



The N40 passes through Douglas, but access is limited. It is not possible to turn onto it in an eastbound direction and westbound traffic may not leave the road. Fuller access is available via the N28 in nearby Rochestown.

Douglas is more fully served by a number of R-standard roads

  • R609 - Links to N28 at Maryborough
  • R610 - Links to Cork City Centre northwards and Passage West, Monkstown and the N28 at Shanbally eastwards
  • R851 - Links to Cork City Centre northwards and the N27 at Ballycurreen westwards
  • R853 - Links to Ballinlough


Bus services are provided by Bus Eireann. It is on a number of city bus routes

Between all city bus routes, up to 11 buses an hour are available to Cork City Centre. However, there are no bus stops that are served by all routes as the routes of the 206 and 216 run parallel several hundred metres apart.

Douglas is also served by a some regional bus routes

Regional bus services do not transport passengers between Douglas and Cork City Centre and may only be used outbound.


Douglas is not currently served by rail. The nearest active railway station is Cork Kent railway station.

Until 1932, Douglas was served by the Blackpool-Douglas route of the Cork Electric Tramways and Lighting Company.

Bordering suburbs


Primary Education:

  • St. Anthony's - Catholic boys school
  • Eglantine - Catholic girls school
  • Scoil An Athar Tadhg Ó Murchú - Irish language mixed-sex school
  • St. Luke's - Church of Ireland mixed-sex school
  • Scoil Nioclais - Catholic mixed-sex school
  • St. Columba's BNS - Catholic boys school
  • St. Columba's GNS - Catholic girls school


Religious congregations

  • Douglas Parish - Catholic
  • Church of Ireland
  • Methodist
  • Baptist

See also

External links

  • History of Douglas (at Douglas Community School website)
  • Scouting Ireland)


  1. a b - These schools lie within the Catholic parish of Ballinlough, but in an area that lies close to the boundaries of Douglas. In fact, they are contained in the area of the Church of Ireland parish of Douglas.


Template:Cork City

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.