World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Edgewood (Washington, D.C.)

Article Id: WHEBN0004709305
Reproduction Date:

Title: Edgewood (Washington, D.C.)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Edgewood, Civic Betterment, Woodland, Washington, D.C., Arboretum (Washington, D.C.), Burrville (Washington, D.C.)
Collection: Neighborhoods in Washington, D.C., Populated Places Established in 1863
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Edgewood (Washington, D.C.)

Edgewood
Neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
Edgewood within the District of Columbia
Edgewood within the District of Columbia
Coordinates:
Country United States
District Washington, D.C.
Ward Ward 5
Government
 • Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie

Edgewood is a neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C., USA. Edgewood is bounded by Lincoln Road and Glenwood Cemetery to the west; the tracks for the Red Line of the Washington Metro to the east; Rhode Island Avenue NE to the south; and the combination of Irving Street, Michigan Avenue, and Monroe Street to the north. Edgewood is in Ward 5.

History

The neighborhood, outside the original boundaries of Washington City, was originally part a 30-acre (120,000 m2) farmland estate called Metropolis View, part of Washington County.

In 1863, Salmon P. Chase, then U.S. Treasury Secretary under Abraham Lincoln, purchased the estate and attenuated another 20 acres (81,000 m2) of land nearby, built a mansion, and renamed the newly expanded estate Edgewood. The mansion itself was at what is now the corner of Edgewood and Fourth Streets NE. When Chase died in 1873, his daughter, Kate Chase Sprague, moved onto the crumbling estate and lived a reclusive life with her intellectually disabled daughter, farming pigs until she died in poverty in 1899.

In the 20th century, the house belonged to the St. Vincent's Orphanage Asylum and Catholic School, the largest orphanage for girls and a coed school. The city, however, gained possession of the remainder of the estate and around 1950 began developing it as an urban neighborhood.

Landmarks

Edgewood Terrace, a large complex of mixed-income and senior-citizen public housing, began development in 1970 at the hands of Bethesda, Maryland developer Eugene Ford. Today, Edgewood Terrace remains a central landmark of the Edgewood neighborhood, enough so that the neighborhood itself is sometimes called Edgewood Terrace. Edgewood is served by the Metropolitan Branch Trail.

External links

  • The Edgewood website
  • The Edgewood Map


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.