World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Grand Ronde Community

The Grand Ronde Community is an Indian reservation located on several non-contiguous sections of land in southwestern Yamhill County and northwestern Polk County, Oregon, United States, about 18 miles (29 km) east of Lincoln City, near the community of Grand Ronde. In the mid-19th century, the United States government forced various tribes and bands from all parts of Western Oregon to be removed from their homes and placed on this reservation. It is owned by the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon. The reservation has a land area of 16.384 sq mi (42.434 km²). In the 2000 census, the resident population of 55 persons. Most members of the tribe live elsewhere in order to find work.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • Historical summary 2
  • Footnotes 3
  • Further reading 4
  • External links 5

Geography

Location of Grand Ronde Reservation, Oregon

Grand Ronde Reservation is located near .[1]

Historical summary

  • Since 6,000 B.C. or earlier, the Rogue River, Umpqua, Chasta, Kalapuya, Molalla, Salmon River, Tillamook, and Nestucca Indians lived in their traditional homelands
  • 1854–1857: In the wake of the Rogue River Wars, the Grand Ronde reservation established by treaty arrangements in 1854 and 1855 and an Executive Order of June 30, 1857
  • 1856: Fort Yamhill built next to reservation
  • 1860's: Arrival of the Belgian Catholic missionary Father Adrien Croquet (renamed Crockett), uncle of the famous Cardinal Mercier - later followed by his nephew Joseph Mercier. The non-ordained Joseph married into a local tribe, and many present-day tribespeople are among his descendants.[2]
  • 1887: the General Allotment Act makes allotments to individuals totaling slightly over 33,000 acres (130 km²) of Reservation land. Most of this ends up in the hands of non-Indians.
  • 1901: U.S. Inspector James McLaughlin declared a 25,791 acre (104.4 km²) tract of the reservation "surplus" and the U.S. sold it for $1.16 per acre ($287/km²).
  • 1936: Indian Reorganization Act enables the Tribe to re-purchase some land for homes
  • 1954: Under the Termination Act, the tribe's federal status was ended.
  • 1983: Grand Ronde Restoration Act: On November 22, 1983, President Ronald Reagan signed the Grand Ronde Restoration Act, restoring federal recognition to the people as a tribe.
  • 1988: Tribe regains 9,811 acres (39.7 km²). This is now about 10,052 acres (45 km²).

Footnotes

  1. ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990".  
  2. ^ Fr. Cawley Martinus, Father Crockett of Grand Ronde: Adrien-Joseph Croquet, 1818–1902, Oregon Missionary, 1860–1898

Further reading

  • C.F. Coan, "The Adoption of the Reservation Policy in Pacific Northwest, 1853–1855," Quarterly of the Oregon Historical Society, vol. 23, no. 1 (March 1922), pp. 1–38. In JSTOR.
  • Melinda Marie Jetté, "'Beaver Are Numerous, but the Natives ... Will Not Hunt Them': Native-Fur Trader Relations in the Willamette Valley, 1812–1814," Pacific Northwest Quarterly, vol. 98, no. 1 (Winter 2006/2007), pp. 3–17. In JSTOR.
  • Tracy Neal Leavelle, "'We Will Make It Our Own Place': Agriculture and Adaptation at the Grand Ronde Reservation, 1856–1887," American Indian Quarterly, vol. 22, no. 4 (Autumn 1998), pp. 433–456. In JSTOR.
  • Ronald Spores, "Too Small a Place: The Removal of the Willamette Valley Indians, 1850–1856," American Indian Quarterly, vol. 17, no. 2 (Spring 1993), pp. 171–191. In JSTOR.

External links

  • Confederated Tribes of Grande Ronde homepage
  • 25 U.S. Code 713 et seq: Confederated Tribes of the Grande Ronde Community of Oregon
  • Grand Ronde Community and Off-Reservation Trust Land, Oregon United States Census Bureau
  • Document: an interview with Chuck Williams, stories about a family that went to Grand Ronde, and the Warm Springs Reservation
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.