World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hansa (company)

Article Id: WHEBN0002857741
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hansa (company)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Borgward group, Borgward, Goliath (company), North German Automobile and Engine
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hansa (company)

Hansa-Lloyd
Industry Automotive
Fate Takeover by Borgward
Founded 1905
Defunct 1931
Headquarters Bremen, Germany
Products Automobiles

Hansa-Automobil Gesellschaft m.b.H was a German car brand established in 1905, which in 1914 was merged with Norddeutsche Automobil und Motoren AG (NAMAG) into Hansa-Lloyd-Werke A.G.. From 1929 to 1931 it was taken over by the Bremen suburb of Hastedt.

History

Hansa 1700 Sport

The Hansa automotive company had been established as a car and truck makers since 1905. During the Goliath factory on Föhrenstrasse in Bremen-Hastedt. The range of trucks of Hansa-Lloyd was complementing the Goliath range, and the purchase allowed Carl Borgward to fulfill his dream to produce his own cars.

1937 Hansa 1100

Carl Borgward stopped Hansa-Lloyd's production of luxury cars, but continued its line of trucks until 1937. From 1933 onwards the brand name Hansa became the name of several Borgward passenger car models. The Hansa Konsul and Hansa Matador were introduced and shortly thereafter the small rear-engined Hansa 400 and 500.

In April 1933 the tax rules which were favoring small cars such as the Hansa 400 were abolished. Borgward decided to produce the new Hansa 1100 four-cylinder two-door all-steel Sedan, and then the six-cylinder 1700 and 2000. From 1939, the 2000 carried the Borgward brand. The name Hansa started to be phased out, becoming Hansa Borgward, then Borgward Hansa and finally Borgward.

In the Second World War, the Bremen factory was completely destroyed.

Post war

Hansa 1100 Coupe

The Goliath 1100 automobile were sold under the Hansa 1100 brand name until the Borgward group collapsed in 1961.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.