World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0003517004
Reproduction Date:

Title: Llwydcoed  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Stuart Cable, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Ysgol Llanhari, University of Glamorgan
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Welsh: Llwydcoed

View from Llwydcoed towards Hirwaun
Llwydcoed is located in Rhondda Cynon Taf
 Llwydcoed shown within Rhondda Cynon Taf
Principal area Rhondda Cynon Taf
Ceremonial county Mid Glamorgan
Country Wales
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Police South Wales
Fire South Wales
Ambulance Welsh
EU Parliament Wales
UK Parliament Cynon Valley
List of places
Rhondda Cynon Taf

Llwydcoed is a small village north of the Cwm Cynon near the town of Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Wales.


  • History 1
  • Industry 2
  • Government 3
  • Transport 4
  • Landmarks 5
  • Notable people 6
  • References 7
  • Bibliography 8
  • External links 9


The village initially developed in the Tregibbon area, where in 1801 workers' housing was built by Thomas ap Shencin ap Gibbon of Fforchaman Farm. Other early housing was built at Miner's Row, Founder's Row and Scales Houses. The names of these streets betray their early origins; the Scale family were among the founders of the works and remained partners until 1846.

Red Cow Pub

In the second half of the 19th century a new period of growth was instigated by the development of the coal industry in the area. Matthew Wayne Esq. of the Gadlys Ironworks opened the Dyllas Colliery in 1840 and in 1849 Ysguborwen Colliery was sunk by Samuel Thomas and Thomas Joseph. Among the houses built in this period were those at Moriah Place, Horeb Terrace and Grey's Place. Exhibition Row was built in 1851 and was named Exhibition Row in honour of the Great Exhibition held at Crystal Palace that year.


The Aberdare Ironworks were established at Llwydcoed in the early nineteenth century and in 1823 were taken over by Rowland Fothergill. Owenrship later passed to his nephew, Richard.[1]

Eight public houses were open in Llwydcoed at this time. They were The Earl Grey, Fox and Hounds, Red Cow, Corner House, The Mason's, Miner's Arms, the Dynevor Arms and the Croes Bychan. At that time stop tap was midnight and a local essayist recounts the boisterous nature of the revelries.

"It is said that more beer was lost (wasted) when the furnaces, coal mines and iron-ore undertakings were being worked, especially at the start of the month, and on pay Saturday Night, than is being drunk now." (Unknown Author. 'A Glance at the History of Llwydcoed' Translated by D Williams and D L Davies.)


Llwydcoed was one for many years an Aberdare Urban District Council from 1894.


The Vale of Neath Railway mainline from Neath to Merthyr Tydfil arrived in 1853, opening Llwydcoed railway station in the same year. Taken over on grouping by the Great Western Railway in 1923, the line remained open until closure under the British Railways Beeching Axe in 1963.


Llwydcoed War Memorial is an obelisk-type war memorial located within the local park. It was unveiled in 1921.

St.James' Church Llwydcoed is also known as the Red Church.

Notable people


  1. ^ Jones. "Thomas Price (Part One)". p. 150. 


  • Jones, Ieuan Gwynedd (1964). "Dr. Thomas Price and the election of 1868 in Merthyr Tydfil : a study in nonconformist politics (Part One)". Welsh History Review 2 (2): 147–172. 

External links

  • Llwydcoed Heritage Trail
  • : photos of Lwydcoed and surrounding area

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.