World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lombard, Montana

Article Id: WHEBN0012717330
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lombard, Montana  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lombard, Broadwater County, Montana, Sixteen Mile Creek (Montana)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lombard, Montana

Lombard
Ghost town

Abandoned Milwaukee Road bridge over the Missouri River at Lombard, Montana
Lombard
Lombard
Location of Lombard in Montana

Coordinates: 46°06′27″N 111°23′56″W / 46.10750°N 111.39889°W / 46.10750; -111.39889Coordinates: 46°06′27″N 111°23′56″W / 46.10750°N 111.39889°W / 46.10750; -111.39889[1]

Country United States
State Montana
County Broadwater
Established 1895
Abandoned 1980
Named for A.G. Lombard
Elevation 3,996 ft (1,218 m)

Lombard is a ghost town in southeastern Broadwater County, Montana, United States. The town was located on the east bank of the Missouri River, just north of the mouth of Sixteen Mile Creek. Lombard was established in 1895 as the western terminus of the Montana Railroad, and the location of its interchange with the Northern Pacific Railway. In 1908, the Montana Railroad was incorporated into the new transcontinental main line of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad ("the Milwaukee Road"). This lessened Lombard's importance as a railroad operational base, but the town survived as an interchange point between the Milwaukee and the Northern Pacific.

Lombard was named for A.G. Lombard, the chief engineer of the Montana Railroad. The town's post office was first opened in 1896, and closed in 1957.

The population of Lombard declined throughout the first half of the twentieth century, corresponding with its lessening importance as a railroad town. Lombard was deserted by the time the Milwaukee Road line through the area was abandoned in 1980, and it remains a ghost town today.

References

Further reading


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.