World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Master Hugo

A scene from the Bury St Edmunds Bible (c. 1135) by Master Hugo

Master Hugo (fl. c.1130-c.1150) was a Romanesque lay artist. His documented career at Bury St Edmunds Abbey spans from before 1136 to after 1148. He is most famous for illuminating the first volume of the Bury Bible, which "have led to a general acknowledgement of Master Hugo as the gifted innovator of the main line of English Romanesque art".[1] This was made for the Abbey in about 1135, and is now in the Parker Library of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge; it is not known whether he illuminated the second volume, of which only a small fragment is known to survive, now in a private collection in the USA. He is also recorded as making bronze doors for the western entry of the Abbey church, a great bell and a carved crucifix with figures of Mary and Saint John, for the Monk's Choir (probably a rood). He has been credited with having made the ivory Cloisters Cross (or "Bury St. Edmunds Cross"), now at The Cloisters, New York,[2] but this is disputed; there is no certain evidence to suggest that the cross was even made in England, although this is accepted by most scholars, and other places of origin such as Germany have been proposed.

References

  1. ^ Elizabeth C. Parker, Master Hugo as Sculptor: A Source for the Style of the Bury Bible, GESTA, XX/1, 1981, JSTOR
  2. ^ Thomas Hoving, King of the Confessors: A New Appraisal. cybereditions.com. Christchurch, New Zealand: 2001

Further reading

  • ‘Gesta sacristarum’, Memorials of St Edmund's Abbey, ed. T. Arnold, 2, Rolls Series, 96 (1892), 289–96
  • C. M. Kauffmann, ‘The Bury Bible’, Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, 29 (1966), 60–81
  • R. M. Thomson, ‘Early Romanesque book-illustration in England: the dates of the Pierpont Morgan Vitae sancti Edmundi and the Bury Bible’, Viator, 2 (1971), 211–25
  • R. M. Thomson, ‘The date of the Bury Bible reexamined’, Viator, 6 (1975), 51–8
  • Thomas Hoving, King of the Confessors. Simon & Schuster. New York, New York: 1981.
  • C. R. Dodwell, The pictorial arts of the West, 800–1200 (1993), 341–7
  • Elizabeth C. Parker & Charles T. Little, The Cloisters Cross. The Metropolitan Museum of Art. New York, N.Y.: 1994.
  • T. A. Heslop, ‘The production and artistry of the Bury Bible’, Bury St Edmunds: medieval art, architecture, archaeology, and economy, ed. A. Gransden (1998), 172–85

External links

  • The Cloisters Cross


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.