World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Matanzas Pass Bridge

Article Id: WHEBN0013067832
Reproduction Date:

Title: Matanzas Pass Bridge  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lee County, Florida, Sanibel Causeway, Florida State Road 865
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Matanzas Pass Bridge

Matanzas Pass Bridge
Official name Matanzas Pass Bridge
Carries SR 865 (San Carlos Boulevard)
Crosses Matanzas Pass
Locale Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Maintained by Florida Department of Transportation
Design Concrete Girder Bridge
Vertical clearance 65 Feet
Opened 1921 (original bridge)
1927 (swing bridge)
1979 (current bridge)
Toll None
Coordinates 26°27'26.55"N/ 81°57'13.09"W

The Matanzas Pass Bridge (also locally known as the Sky Bridge, or the Fort Myers Beach Bridge) is a bridge located in Fort Myers Beach, Florida. It carries State Road 865 (San Carlos Boulevard) between the Florida mainland (via San Carlos Island) and Estero Island, which is a major tourist destination. The bridge is one of the island's two connections to the mainland. The other is the Bonita Beach Causeway on the south end of the island.

The current Matanzas Pass Bridge opened in 1979, and is 65 feet (20 m) tall, making it the second-tallest bridge in Lee County. The tallest bridge in the county is the first bridge of the Sanibel Causeway, which is 70 feet (21 m) tall. The current bridge has two traffic lanes, one for northbound traffic and one for southbound traffic. There is also a pedestrian lane, which is separated from the rest of the bridge by a concrete barrier. Fishing piers also exist underneath the bridge on each side. The bridge's current blue color was added in 2011, making it resemble the Jewfish Creek Bridge in Key Largo.

History

The original Matanzas Pass Bridge was a small wooden drawbridge built in 1921. The roadway connecting to the bridge originally ran from the bridge along the coast to Bunche Beach where it connected to present-day John Morris Road, which goes on to McGregor Boulevard. At this point, San Carlos Island was part of the mainland. A major hurricane in 1926 destroyed the original bridge, only five years after it was built. This same hurricane also separated what is now San Carlos Island from the mainland, making the road impassible. The body of water created by the hurricane separating San Carlos Island from the mainland was appropriately named Hurricane Pass.

In 1927, a concrete swing bridge was installed to replace the original. San Carlos Boulevard was also constructed at this time as a more direct route to replace the original road. The swing bridge was a recycled bridge that formerly operated on the east coast of Florida. An electric motor was installed on the bridge in 1950 due to the area's rapidly growing shrimping industry, which caused the span to be opened frequently.

Despite being motorized, the bridge was old and unreliable, and island residents feared that the bridge would fail and strand them in the event of an emergency, such as a hurricane evacuation. This concern led to the construction of Bonita Beach Causeway at the southern end of the island in 1965.[1]

The swing bridge was replaced by the current bridge in 1979.[2] The current bridge is a 65 foot tall fixed span to accommodate the area's large shrimping vessels without disrupting traffic. The current bridge was built one block east of the swing bridge to accommodate its height, and the old bridge's approach is now known as Old San Carlos Boulevard on the island side.

Gallery

References

Coordinates: 26°27′26.55″N 81°57′13.09″W / 26.4573750°N 81.9536361°W / 26.4573750; -81.9536361

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.