World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Milton Harris (scientist)

Article Id: WHEBN0011541864
Reproduction Date:

Title: Milton Harris (scientist)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Oregon State University, Priestley Medal, Perkin Medal, Milton Harris
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Milton Harris (scientist)

Milton Harris
File:Milton Harris (scientist) 1980s.jpg
Harris in the 1980s
Born March 21, 1906
Los Angeles, California
Died September 12, 1991(1991-09-12) (aged 85)
Alma mater Oregon Agricultural College
Yale University
Known for Founding the Harris Research Laboratories
Notable awards Harold DeWitt Smith Memorial Medal (1966)
Perkin Medal (1970)
Priestley Medal

Milton Harris (March 21, 1906—September 12, 1991) was a scientist who founded the Harris Research Laboratories and, for six years, chaired the Board of Directors of the American Chemical Society.

Harris was born in Los Angeles, California and raised in Portland, Oregon. His first independent business enterprise, at the age of twelve or thirteen, was building crystal radio sets. A high school science course piqued his interest in chemistry. In 1924, at the age of sixteen, Harris began his college education at Oregon State University, then known as Oregon Agricultural College (OAC). Despite the lack of a chemistry department at that time, Harris pursued a degree in chemical engineering and took all available courses in chemistry.

At the age of 18, Harris graduated from OAC, and began graduate work at Yale University. Upon his graduation from Yale in 1929, Harris took his first job as a chemist at the Cheney Brothers Mill. Harris was called away from Cheney in 1931 to join a new textile research group at the National Bureau of Standards (NBS). Harris was later appointed director of the research group, which would ultimately produce roughly 200 scientific papers on various aspects of textile chemistry. While he was at the NBS Harris, along with Vincent du Vigneaud, made important discoveries with regard to similarities between the three-dimensional molecular structures of wool, insulin, and human hair.

With the beginning of US involvement in World War II, Harris’ group began advising the Army Quartermaster about textiles, as well as helping to solve a myriad of problems for the NBS. Harris aided the research and redesign of sandbag sacking, tent cloth, and the chemical additives in military underwear that were used to protect soldiers from the effects of a gas attack. At the end of World War II, while the Textile Foundation was relocated to Princeton, New Jersey, Harris elected to stay in Washington, D.C. With the help of some colleagues, Harris started the Harris Research Laboratories, which operated as a consulting laboratory for the Gillette Company and American Enka Company, among others.

Harris’ association with the Gillette Company grew with the development of his consulting business. In 1955, Gillette bought the Harris Research Laboratories and appointed Harris Vice President of Research. Just before his retirement from Gillette in 1966, Milton Harris was approached by the American Chemical Society (ACS) Board of Directors and asked if he would accept a nomination to the board. He accepted and served as head for six years. In 1975 Harris headed an ACS panel which produced a study instrumental to the National Academy of Sciences’ recommendation for widespread cultivation of the jojoba shrub.

Harris was the recipient of many major honors in the field of chemistry, including the Harold DeWitt Smith Memorial Medal (1966), the Perkin Medal (1970), and the Priestley Medal (1980). He died of cancer September 12, 1991. His papers were donated to Oregon State University Libraries Special Collections in November 1995.

External links

  • The Milton Harris Papers at Oregon State University Libraries
  • "Milton Harris: A Biography," by John H. Georg
  • "Milton Harris, 1906-1991" (National Academy of Engineering Tribute), by Alfred E. Brown

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.