World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Ocean Harbour


Ocean Harbour is a deeply indented bay on the north coast of South Georgia which is entered 1.5 miles (2.4 km) west-northwest of Tijuca point. It was an active whaling station between 1909–1920. At one point, South Georgia was the whaling capital of the world.

The names New Fortune Bay and Neufortuna Bay, probably for the whaling catcher Fortuna (owned by the Norwegian-Argentine whaling company Pesca), were used for this site in 1922 by Filchner, following the German Antarctic Expedition, 1911-12. In 1951-52 the island was surveyed by the South Georgia Survey who reported the site was known to whalers and sealers as Ocean Harbour, a name derived from the Ocean Whaling Co. which at one time had a station there. The name Ocean Harbour is approved for this feature on the basis of local usage, and also to avoid confusion of the name New Fortuna Bay with Fortuna Bay, only 22 miles (35 km) to the northwest.

History

Old sealing trypots can still be seen here, and there is also the wreck of the Bayard here, a 1300 tonne, 67 m (220 ft) long, iron hulled boat, built in 1864. She was moored at the cooling station at 1911, when a gale blew her loose across the bay. Ocean Harbour was the site of the first introduction of Reindeer to South Georgia by Pesca's whaling station manager Carl Anton Larsen and his brother in November 1911.

Ocean Harbour has a small cemetery with eight graves including the oldest known grave on the island - that of Frank Cabrial (1820) of the sealer Francis Allen. The marker has gone though some of the others are still marked.

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Geological Survey document "Ocean Harbour" (content from the Geographic Names Information System).Template:SGSSI

Coordinates: 54°20′S 36°16′W / 54.333°S 36.267°W / -54.333; -36.267

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.