World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Palmer Stadium

Article Id: WHEBN0004199916
Reproduction Date:

Title: Palmer Stadium  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Princeton Tigers football, 1910 Princeton Tigers football team, 1912 Princeton Tigers football team, 1913 Princeton Tigers football team, 1914 Princeton Tigers football team
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Palmer Stadium

Palmer Stadium
A souvenir postcard of Palmer Stadium in 1914.
Location Princeton, NJ
Owner Princeton University
Operator Princeton University
Capacity 42,000
Surface Natural Grass
Construction
Broke ground June, 1914
Opened October 24, 1914
Closed November 23, 1996
Demolished Winter, 1997
Architect Henry J. Hardenburgh
Tenants
Princeton Tigers
(Football & Track and Field) (1914-1996)

Palmer Stadium was a stadium in Princeton, New Jersey, United States. It hosted the Princeton University Tigers football team, as well as the track and field team. The stadium held 45,750 people at its peak and was opened in 1914 with a game against Dartmouth. It closed in 1996 with a game against Dartmouth. Princeton University Stadium was built on the site (albeit pushed slightly further north) in 1997. The building was named for Stephen S. Palmer, a trustee of the university, by his son, Edgar Palmer III. Like Harvard Stadium, it was horseshoe-shaped (which was modeled after the Greek Olympic Stadium), but was wider, including a full-sized track (around the football field) . It opened to the south (facing Lake Carnegie) and the grand main entrance was at the north.

It hosted the Division I NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championship in 1981. From 1936 to its closing, the track's long-jump record was held by Jesse Owens.

External links

  • A short Palmer Stadium history
  • Palmer Stadium from GoPrincetonTigers.com



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.