Peterview, Newfoundland and Labrador

Peterview, Newfoundland & Labrador
Peters Arm
Town

Peterview's welcome sign on the only road into the community.
Official seal of Peterview, Newfoundland & Labrador
Seal
Peterview, Newfoundland & Labrador
Peterview, Newfoundland & Labrador
Location of Peterview in Newfoundland

Coordinates: 49°8′55″N 55°21′02″W / 49.14861°N 55.35056°W / 49.14861; -55.35056

Country  Canada
Province  Newfoundland and Labrador
Census division 6
Incorporated 1962
Government
Area
 • Total 6.72 km2 (2.59 sq mi)
Elevation 12 m (39 ft)
Population (2006)
 • Total 807
 • Density 120.0/km2 (311/sq mi)
Time zone Newfoundland Time (UTC-3:30)
 • Summer (DST) Newfoundland Daylight (UTC-2:30)
Postal code span A0H
Area code(s) 709
Highways Route 350
Website http://www.peterview.ca/

Peterview is a town located in the Exploits Valley area of central Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, where Peters River empties into the Bay of Exploits, just south of Botwood, off Route 350.

Originally named Peters Arm, the community was incorporated as the Town of Peterview in 1962. The current mayor is Jim Samson and the deputy mayor is Pleman Brown. According to the 2001 Statistics Canada census, Peterview has a population of 807 with 266[1] private dwellings.

Peterview has connections to Demasduwit (Mary March), a figure in Newfoundland history and one of the last Beothuk Indians, as John Peyton, one of her captors, built the first house in the area.

EARLY SETTLERS

Among all of the towns in the Central Newfoundland area, Peterview was one of the first to be incorporated. It is a historic site because of its original residents: the Beothuck, who had settled at Wigwam Point.

The Beothuck were the first settlers and first residents of Peterview. Their wigwams were set up at Sandy Point, which is presently known as Wigwam Point. The Beothuck were seen as savages by the European voyagers because they stole their fish, equipment, and materials, which eventually led to hostility between the two races. Because of this resentment during the 1700's, John Peyton appeared before the reigning government in St. John’s and proposed that the Mi'kmaq tribe (a more war-like people) be brought in from Nova Scotia to kill off the Beothuck.

PERMANENT SETTLEMENT AND GROWTH

Upon returning to Peterview in 1790, John Peyton built the first home. This started the first real settlement in Dominion Point (now known as Peterview). Between 1790 and 1830, John Peyton and his family worked in the farming and fishing industries. It’s unsure, but there may have been other people living here or coming in from other places to help John Peyton and his family.

In 1830, a French lumber mill was built in Dominion Point. Its exact location is unknown, but this mill exported timber to St. John’s where it was used to make paper. It was shipped all the way to St. John’s because it was there that the main port in Newfoundland was located.

Over the next two years, the community of Dominion Point began to thrive and the first general store was built. It was owned and operated by Mr. Lewis and Mr. Winsor. The original store records are still in existence, at the Peterview Heritage Museum.

In 1862, another French lumber mill was built at the same location that Mrs. Frank Taylor is presently living. It was operated by a company from Quebec, and exported lumber to St. John’s by schooner.

FIRST CIVIC CONSTRUCTION

From 1862 to 1884, no records exist of what happened, but it is known that in 1884, the population of Dominion Point was 32. Over the next 6 years, the population grew enough that a Prayer House (Barracks) was built in 1910 by the citizens from their own logs. In 1911, the first Salvation Army officer, Lieutenant Sweetapple, was appointed. He also became the first school teacher and taught in the Prayer House, which substituted as a school at that time.

Between 1911 and 1940, the population grew enough to support the operation of the first school, under the direction of Envoy R. W. Abbott. The school taught from Kindergarten to Grade 11.

In 1951, Dominion Point was renamed Peter’s Arm South, by R. W. Abbott, who happened to be a clergyman, teacher and first chairman of the council.

In 1963, the school was deliberately burnt down by arsonists and a new structure was built and opened in 1965. This school was permanently closed in June, 1995, as the result of many government cutbacks.

In May of 1964, a water line was connected from Botwood, and the water was officially turned on. At the time, it went as far as George Keefe’s, and was completed as far as Herbert Hibbs’ a couple of years later. The road was paved as far as George Keefe’s in 1967 and completed to Wigwam Point a couple of years later. It was completely repaved in 2001.

During 1964 and 1965, Peterview’s first Fire Brigade was formed, with the first Chief being Harry Pope.

The Town Hall was built through Federal government projects over a period of years, beginning in 1972.

COUNCIL ERA

On October 23, 1956, the first Community Welfare Committee was set up to take care of the affairs of the community. This was the beginning of the community council. The members of the first committee were:

R. W. Abbott as Chairman, William Hibbs, Harry Pope, Thomas Canning, Henry O. Peyton, Edgar Budgell & Leslie Sansome. The appointed council continued until November, 1982, when the first general election was held. The first members to be elected were:

Calvin Hibbs as Mayor, Scott Sansome as Deputy Mayor, Clifford Whitt, Isabelle Keats (1st. Female elected or appointed to council), Kenneth Sheppard, Eric Samson & Cecil Keats. In 2005, the council decided it would hold, for the first time, a separate election for Mayor. James Samson (incumbent) and Lorie Brown ran for the position with James Samson being the eventual successor.

See also

References

Coordinates: 49°07′00″N 55°21′00″W / 49.11667°N 55.35000°W / 49.11667; -55.35000

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.