World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pontygwaith, Rhondda

Article Id: WHEBN0018422574
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pontygwaith, Rhondda  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Maerdy, Ynyshir, Rhondda, Tylorstown, List of places in Rhondda Cynon Taf, Elfed Davies, Baron Davies of Penrhys, Pontygwaith
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pontygwaith, Rhondda

This article is about the village Pontygwaith in the Rhondda. For the Pontygwaith in Treharris see Pontygwaith.

Coordinates: 51°38′16″N 3°25′49″W / 51.637676°N 3.430264°W / 51.637676; -3.430264

Pontygwaith
Welsh: Pont-y-gwaith
Rhondda Cynon Taf
OS grid reference ST011941
Principal area Rhondda Cynon Taf
Ceremonial county Mid Glamorgan
Country Wales
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town Ferndale
Postcode district CF43
Dialling code 01443 73
Police South Wales
Fire South Wales
Ambulance Welsh
EU Parliament Wales
UK Parliament Rhondda
Welsh Assembly Rhondda
List of places
UK
Wales
Rhondda Cynon Taf

Pontygwaith (Welsh language: "Bridge to work" or "Bridge of the Ironworks") is a small village located in the Rhondda Fach valley in the county borough of Rhondda Cynon Taf, Wales.

History

Pontygwaith takes its name from a blast furnace built in the early 16th century, though by 1863 it was described as a shapeless ruin[1] The location of the furnace was at the north end of what today is Furnace Road and the only documented proof of the structure is in a contract drawn up in 1614 between John Hanbury of Pontypool and Richard ap Rhys of Llantrisant for the supply of charcoal to the "furnace of Penrees" (Penrhys).

Gwilym Elfed Davies, Labour Party Member of Parliament for Rhondda East 1959-74 and who went on to become elevated to the Peerage as Lord Davies of Penrhys, was born at Fenwick Street, Pontygwaith.

Transport

Between 1849 and 1856, the Taff Vale Railway opened the Maerdy Branch from Porth, including a station at Pontygwaith. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1964, and the line closed completely and was lifted from June 1986 after coal from Mardy Colliery was raised through Tower Colliery. Since 2005, the southern section from Porth to Pontygwaith is now the A4223 Porth and Lower Rhondda Fach Relief Road (Porth Bypass).[2] The upper section including the section passing Pontygwaith has become a branch of the Taff Trail cycleway.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.