World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Prószków

Article Id: WHEBN0009594312
Reproduction Date:

Title: Prószków  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Proszkow, Opole County, Silesian architecture, Opole Voivodeship, Karl Maximilian, Prince of Dietrichstein
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Prószków

Prószków
Prószków Castle
Prószków Castle
Coat of arms of Prószków
Coat of arms
Prószków is located in Poland
Prószków
Prószków
Coordinates:
Country  Poland
Voivodeship Opole Voivodeship
County Opole County
Gmina Prószków
Area
 • Total 16.31 km2 (6.30 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Total 2,713
 • Density 170/km2 (430/sq mi)
Postal code 46-060
Website http://www.proszkow.pl/

Prószków (, }

}}: Proskau) is a town in Opole County, Opole Voivodeship in southwestern Poland. It is the administrative seat of Gmina Prószków, a Polish/German bilingual commune since 2006.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • History 2
  • International relations 3
    • Twin towns — Sister cities 3.1

Geography

St George Church

The town is located in the historic Upper Silesia region, about 10 km (6.2 mi) south of Opole. As of 2013 it has 2,646 inhabitants.

On July 29, 1921 a temperature of 40.2 °C (104 °F) was recorded in the city. Since then, it is the highest temperature ever recorded in any city located in present-day Poland (the town was then a part of Germany).

History

Prószków in the Silesian Duchy of Opole was first mentioned in a 1250 deed. From the 14th century onwards the estates were held by the Proskowski noble family. Count Jerzy Proskowski had the parish church and a Renaissance castle built in the late 16th century, which both were set ablaze by Swedish troops during the Thirty Years' War and had to be rebuilt in their present Baroque style after the war.

After the First Silesian War the town became part of Prussia in 1742. From 1763 Proskau Castle housed a famous Faience manufacture. The House of Dietrichstein briefly held the Proskau manor from 1769, before it was purchased by the Prussian king Frederick the Great in 1783. From 1847 the castle was used as an agronomic college, which was relocated to Berlin in 1881. The succeeding institute for pomological research, including an arboretum and extensive orchards, exists up to today.

After World War II only parts of the German population were expelled. Prószków regained a town charter in 2004, it officially adopted its German name Proskau on 30 April 2010.

International relations

Main square

Twin towns — Sister cities

Prószków is twinned with:


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.