World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Republic Building, Colombo

Republic Building
Republic Building
General information
Town or city Colombo
Country Sri Lanka
Client Government of Sri Lanka

The Republic Building, is the building that houses the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in southern wing and the Cabinet Office in its northern wing. Situated in the Colombo fort in close proximity to the President's House, Colombo. It was known as the Senate Building till 1972.

Contents

  • Building 1
  • Republic Square 2
  • See also 3
  • External links 4

Building

The building was built in during the British colonial era to house the Legislative Council of Ceylon which it did until January 29, 1930 when a new building was open for the use of the Legislative Council that later became the State Council of Ceylon. Since then till Ceylon's Independence in 1948 the building housed several government departments. Following independence the building became home to the Senate of Ceylon, Prime Minister's Office, Cabinet office and the Ministry of External Affairs and Defence. Housing the cabinet room which was said to be the most beautiful in the commonwealth and the cabinet office. It was renamed as the Republic Building following Sri Lanka becoming a republic in 1972.

From 1977 it was used by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs after the Ministry of External Affairs and Defence was split and the Ministry of Defence moved to Echelon square.

Republic Square

The Republic Building is situated along what was once Queen's Street facing the Gordon Gardens across the road. At the northern end of the building the Queen's Street met Church Street. The section of the road between the Church Street juncture and Sir Baron Jayathilaka Mawatha (Street) juncture has been closed off and has seen been known as the Republic Square. Due to security reasons it has been off limits for the public.

See also

External links

  • Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Cabinet Office

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.