World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Santi Marcellino e Pietro al Laterano

Article Id: WHEBN0008031651
Reproduction Date:

Title: Santi Marcellino e Pietro al Laterano  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pope Pius IX, Isidore of Kiev, Alessandro Sanminiatelli Zabarella, Churches of Rome, Early Christian art and architecture
Collection: 4Th-Century Churches, Rome R. I Monti, Titular Churches in Rome
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Santi Marcellino e Pietro al Laterano

Santi Marcellino e Pietro al Laterano is a Roman catholic parish and titular church in Rome on the Via Merulana. It is dedicated to Saints Marcellinus and Peter, 4th century Roman martyrs, whose relics were brought here in 1256.

History

The first church on the site was built by Pope Siricius in the 4th century, close to the Via Labicana's catacombs of Marcellinus and Peter, with an adjoining hospice which became a centre for pilgrims. This church was restored by Pope Gregory III in the 8th century. Ever since these early centuries, it has been among Rome's stational churches for the Saturday of the Second Week in Lent. In the ninth century, the remains of Saints Marcellinus and Peter putatively were transferred from the catacombs here to a church in Seligenstadt, Germany. When the church was rebuilt in 1256 by Pope Alexander IV, the martyrs' relics were putatively returned. At Present, under the high altar is an urn containing relics of Saint Marcia. On the left side is an altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, with a copy of Guido Reni's The Virgin in Glory with Angels, St Joseph and St Rita. Next to it is the Chapel of Reconciliation. An image of the dedicatees was placed on the first column on the left from the entrance during this restoration, with an inscription recording the restoration. The hospice and church were then given in 1276 to the Confraternity of those Commended to the Saviour.

The present church is the result of Pope Benedict XIV's 1751 reconstruction. The present cube-shaped exterior is divided by pilaster strips in a Neoclassical style, but with a late-Baroque elements, including a dome influenced by the architecture of Borromini. The fa├žade was designed by Girolamo Theodoli and the main altarpiece by Gaetano Lapis depicts the dedicatees' martyrdom. After that restoration, the church was awarded until 1906 for the worship of the Discalced Carmelites. A small chapel to Our Lady of Lourdes was dedicated at the south east, next to a chapel of St Gregory the Great, with a new ceiling painting of her by N. Caselli, in 1903. Since 1911, it has been a parochial church served by diocesan clergy.

The church has a Greek cross plan.

This church is a titular church of Czech cardinal Dominik Jaroslav Duka, O. P.

External links

  • Official website of the Vicariate of Rome
  • Chiesa di Santi Marcellino e Pietro al Laterano on gcatholic.org.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.