World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sillapää

Article Id: WHEBN0028447306
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sillapää  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Linte, Leevaku, Köstrimäe, Kõnnu, Põlva County, Kassilaane
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sillapää

Sillapää
Village

Sillapää manor
Country Estonia
County Põlva County
Parish Räpina Parish
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)

Sillapää is a village in Räpina Parish, Põlva County in southeastern Estonia.

Sillapää manor

Sillapää manor, sometimes referred to as Räpina manor, was founded in 1582 during the Polish time. In 1625, when the territory had been conquered by Sweden, it became the property of Bengt Oxenstierna. It was later returned to the state via one of the so-called reductions. Subsequently, it belonged to several different aristocratic families until the Estonian land reform of 1919. After that, in 1920, it became a school, and today is a gardening school and a museum. The current neoclassical building is from 1836-1847, built to the designs of architect R. E. von Richter. The interiors however have not been preserved. Surrounding the manor is a large park, housing over 300 different species of trees and bushes. The park was designed by well-known Riga garden designer Walter von Engelhardt in the 19th century.[1][2]

References

  1. ^ Sakk, Ivar (2004). Estonian Manors - A Travelogue. Tallinn: Sakk & Sakk OÜ. p. 231.  
  2. ^ Hein, Ants (2009). Eesti Mõisad - Herrenhäuser in Estland - Estonian Manor Houses. Tallinn: Tänapäev. p. 159.  


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.