World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Simpson Park Hammock

Article Id: WHEBN0041413095
Reproduction Date:

Title: Simpson Park Hammock  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Brickell, Greater Miami, Holocaust Memorial of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation, Miami Conservatory, Miami International University of Art & Design
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Simpson Park Hammock

Northeast entrance to Simpson Park at the corner of South Miami Avenue and Broadway (SW 15th Road)

Simpson Park, officially Simpson Park Hammock, is a 7.8-acre (3.2 ha) urban park located between Brickell and The Roads neighborhoods of Miami, Florida. The park was originally known as Jungle Park, as 5.5 acres (2.2 ha) were set aside in 1913 by a group of individuals to preserve what is now one of the last remaining tracts of Brickell Hammock, a tropical hardwood hammock which once ran from the Miami River to Coconut Grove. In 1927 the park's name was changed in honor of Miami botanist and conservationist Charles Torrey Simpson. In 1940 an additional 3 acres (1.2 ha) of adjacent hammock was incorporated into the park. A building known as the Charles Torrey Simpson Garden Center was constructed on this addition in 1941. This is also the main entrance to the park, at 55 SW 17th Road. Simpson Park is home to 15 endangered plant species, such as Licaria triandra, and 9 threatened plant species.[1]

References

  1. ^

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.