World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Supreme Court of Judicature of Japan

Article Id: WHEBN0024380307
Reproduction Date:

Title: Supreme Court of Judicature of Japan  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Empire of Japan, List of Japanese institutions (1930–45), Ministry of Home Affairs (Japan), Takebashi incident, Shōwa Modan
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Supreme Court of Judicature of Japan

Supreme Court of Judicature
Dai-shin'in

Established 1875
Country Empire of Japan
Location Tokyo, Japan
Authorized by Meiji Constitution

The Supreme Court of Judicature (大審院 Dai-shin'in) was the highest judicial body in the Empire of Japan. It existed from 1875 to 1947.

Organized by the Ministry of Justice in 1875, the Japanese Supreme Court of Judicature was modeled after Court of Cassation in France. The court was composed of 120 judges in both civil and criminal divisions. Five judges would be empaneled for any given case. The criminal division of the court was the court of first instance for crimes against the Emperor (e.g. lèse majesté) and for high crimes against public order.

The promulgation of the Constitution of the Empire of Japan (i.e. the “Meiji Constitution”), confirmed and formalized its position at the apex of the Japanese court system, consisting of the local courts, district courts and court of appeals.

It was abolished by order of the American occupation authorities in 1947, after the abolition of the Meiji Constitution.

The building of the Supreme Court of Judicature was gutted by American air raids during the bombing of Tokyo in World War II. It was repaired, and continued to be used as the Supreme Court of Japan under the post-war Constitution of Japan until 1974. The present Tokyo High Court was built on its former location.

See also

References

  • Rohl, Wilhelm, Story of Law in Japan since 1868, Brill Academic Pub (2005), ISBN 9004131647


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.