World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Telgte

Article Id: WHEBN0002584205
Reproduction Date:

Title: Telgte  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ostbevern, Warendorf, Nadine Ernsting-Krienke, Salomon Lefmann, Asgaard – German Security Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Telgte

Telgte
Old Town and River Ems
Old Town and River Ems
Coat of arms of Telgte
Coat of arms
Telgte  is located in Germany
Telgte
Telgte
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State North Rhine-Westphalia
Admin. region Münster
District Warendorf
Government
 • Mayor Wolfgang Pieper (BUENDNIS 90/DIE GRUENEN)
Area
 • Total 90.6 km2 (35.0 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 18,996
 • Density 210/km2 (540/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 48291
Dialling codes 02504
Vehicle registration WAF
Website www.telgte.de

Telgte is a town in the Warendorf district, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is situated on the river Ems, 10 km east of Münster, and 15 km west of Warendorf.

History

Telgte received town privileges in 1238. It developed at a fork of larger trade routes to the North Sea and Baltic Sea, at a ford across the river Ems. 1469 Telgte is mentioned as member of the Hanseatic League.

Prince-Bishop Franz von Waldeck of Münster was granted asylum in Telgte during the Münster Rebellion of the Anabaptists in the 1530s.

Culture

Telgte is famous for the annual Telgte Pilgrimage, the second largest pilgrimage in Germany. Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and beginning in Osnabrück, the summertime pilgrimage regularly consists of 8,000 pilgrims. Approximately 150,000 pilgrims visit Telgte annually. Telgte is also known for its Nativity Museum (Krippenmuseum) and its fair (Mariä-Geburts-Markt).

Nobel-winner Günter Grass's novel The Meeting at Telgte (Das Treffen in Telgte) is set in Telgte during the negotiations of the Peace of Westphalia which ended the Thirty Years' War.

Politics

The city of Telgte consists of three quarters: Telgte, Westbevern and Westbevern Vadrup. Until the 1970s Westbevern was an independently administered village which consisted of Vadrup and Brock (Brock was incorporated into Ostbevern in a communal reform). Through Westbevern flows the river Bever, a tributary of the Ems

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.