World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Templeuve

Article Id: WHEBN0014955121
Reproduction Date:

Title: Templeuve  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Lille, Préseau, Reumont, La Groise, Mazinghien
Collection: Communes of Nord (French Department)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Templeuve

Templeuve
Château Baratte
Château Baratte
Coat of arms of Templeuve
Coat of arms
Templeuve is located in France
Templeuve
Templeuve
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Nord
Arrondissement Lille
Canton Cysoing
Intercommunality Pays de Pévèle
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Luc Monnet
Area1 15.84 km2 (6.12 sq mi)
Population (1999)2 5,778
 • Density 360/km2 (940/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 59586 / 59242
Elevation 26–54 m (85–177 ft)
(avg. 43 m or 141 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Templeuve is a commune in the Nord department in northern France.

Contents

  • Heraldry 1
  • Windmill 2
  • See also 3
  • References 4

Heraldry

Arms of Templeuve
The arms of Templeuve are blazoned :
Azure, the name Templeuve bendwise argent between 2 bendlets gemel Or.



Windmill

Windmill of Vertain

Templeuve is the location of a windmill. The windmill tower is first mentioned in 1328 in rent documents of Anchin Abbey, as the "Moulin de Viertain". It was burned during the war in 1616, and completely rebuilt. It stopped productive work in 1908, and was damaged during the First World War by people wanting wood. Its restoration began in 1980 and the sails were added in 1985. It is now open to visits.

It was successful in the hands of the families De la Porte dit d'Espierres, Robert, Jacops d'Aigrement before the French Revolution. It was then owned by the Havet and Band families. The mill, whose tower was erected at the end of the seventeenth century, remained active until the death of miller Jean-Baptiste Houze on 21 November 1907. His widow completed grinding the last bags of grain and then abandoned the mill.

Jean Bruggeman, the president of the Regional Association 'des Amis des Moulins', inspired the municipality of Templeuve to acquire the mill in 1973. The restoration was completed on 15 June 1985, and it was opened by the mayor, Robert Vandelanoitte, and Alphonse Dhelin, the Assistant for Cultural Affairs.

The post-house design means that the internal mechanism and upper structure rests on a pivot, which rotates when wind direction changes.

  • Tower Height: 10.20 meters
  • Diameter: 5.10 meters
  • Thickness of walls: 1.25 meters at the base - 1.12 meter summit
  • Sails 24 meters wide
  • Mechanism Two pairs of millstones
    • The large spinning wheel: 2.90 m in diameter.
    • Rouet Little 2 meters in diameter
  • Wood used : oak, elm, iroko for the mechanisms. Chestnut for the shingles

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.