World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

The Equator monument

Article Id: WHEBN0020910442
Reproduction Date:

Title: The Equator monument  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pontianak, Indonesia, North Pontianak
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

The Equator monument

The Equator monument is located on the equator in Pontianak, Indonesia. It marks the division between the northern and southern hemispheres.

History

  • First monument built in 1928 by a Dutch geographer.
  • 1930 completed, in form of bollard radialy and dart.
  • 1938 rebuilt with completion by architect Silaban. The original monument is still visible in the interior.
  • 1990 renovated with the addition of a dome to protect the original monument and also making of duplicate of monument of the size five times bigger than its original size.
  • Its grand opening on 1991 September 21.

Construction

The monument consists of four iron wood poles, each with a diameter of about 0,30 metre, with frontage bollard height is two pieces as high as 3,05 radian place backside bollard and the signpost dart as high as 4,40 metres.

Location

Its location is in Jalan Khatulistiwa, North Pontianak, about 3 kilometres from the city centre of Pontianak.

The equator monument is not on the equator any more. The equator has moved slightly southwards and there is another line outside the monument, that shows the recorded position in 2005. The position of the equator in 2010 is even further south and in the river, as a GPS device can confirm.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.