USS Charles R. Greer

Career
Name: USS Charles R. Greer
Laid down: 7 September 1942
Launched: 18 January 1943
Commissioned: 25 June 1943
Decommissioned: 2 November 1945
Struck: 16 November 1945
Honors and
awards:
2 battle stars (World War II)
Fate: Sold for scrapping, 1 February 1947
General characteristics
Type: Template:Sclass/core
Displacement: 1,140 long tons (1,158 t) standard
1,430 long tons (1,453 t) full
Length: 289 ft 5 in (88.21 m) o/a
283 ft 6 in (86.41 m) w/l
Beam: 35 ft (11 m)
Draft: 11 ft (3.4 m) (max)
Propulsion: 4 × General Motors Model 16-278A diesel engines with electric drive, 6,000 shp (4,474 kW)
2 screws
Speed: 19 knots (35 km/h; 22 mph)
Range: 4,150 nmi (7,690 km)
Complement: 15 officers and 183 enlisted
Armament: • 3 × single 3"/50 Mk.22 dual purpose guns
• 1 × quad 1.1"/75 Mk.2 AA gun
• 9 × 20 mm Mk.4 AA guns
• 1 × Hedgehog Projector Mk.10 (144 rounds)
• 8 × Mk.6 depth charge projectors
• 2 × Mk.9 depth charge tracks

USS Charles R. Greer (DE-23) was an Template:Sclass/core constructed for the United States Navy during World War II. It was promptly sent off into the Pacific Ocean to protect convoys and other ships from Japanese submarines and fighter aircraft. At the end of the war, she returned to the United States proudly with two battle stars.

She was intended for Great Britain under Lend-Lease as BDE-23. However, Charles R. Greer was retained for American use and reclassified DE-23; launched 18 January 1943 by Mare Island Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. E. Greer; and commissioned 25 June 1943, Lieutenant N. C. Sutton, USNR, in command.

World War II Pacific Theatre operations

Charles R. Greer's assignment in the U.S. Pacific Fleet was to the never-ending task of escorting convoys in the intricate meshing of movements demanded by the buildup of Pacific bases. She cleared San Francisco, California, on the first such mission 5 September 1943, bound for Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, which was to be her base until October 1944.

Her escort duty took her to west coast ports, to Funafuti in the Ellice Islands, and to the Gilberts and Marshalls. Early in December 1943 she formed part of the screen for the transports bringing the garrison force to Abemama in the Gilberts, where an important air base was soon developed. The next month she guarded the movement of the garrison for Majuro.

Under attack by Japanese aircraft

From October 1944 through February 1945, Charles R. Greer operated guarding convoys from Ulithi to Eniwetok, Guam, and Pearl Harbor. On 20 November 1944, her group came under attack by a lone enemy aircraft off Ulithi, but the fire of Charles R. Greer and the other escort vessels drove the Japanese plane off. She returned to Pearl Harbor from a west coast overhaul in April 1945, and took up a full schedule of training activities until late June, when she returned to the Marshall Islands for anti-submarine patrols, and convoy escort duty.

End-of-War operations

She left Eniwetok astern 31 August to sail to Wake Island, where on 4 September she took part in the surrender ceremonies, watching as the American flag was raised once more over the outpost so stubbornly defended in the dark early days of the war.

Post-War Decommissioning

She sailed on to Pearl Harbor, where she was decommissioned 2 November 1945 and sold 1 February 1947.

Awards

Combat Action Ribbon (retroactive)
American Campaign Medal
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (with two service stars)
World War II Victory Medal

References

This article incorporates text from the here.

See also

External links

  • Photo gallery of USS Charles R. Greer (DE 23) at NavSource Naval History


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.