World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Snyder (DE-745)

Article Id: WHEBN0012024397
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Snyder (DE-745)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of destroyer escorts of the United States Navy
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Snyder (DE-745)

New York City, April 1951
Career
Name: USS Snyder
Namesake: Ensign Russell Snyder
Builder: Western Pipe and Steel Company
Laid down: 28 April 1943
Launched: 29 August 1943
Commissioned: 5 May 1944
Decommissioned: 5 May 1960
Struck: 1 August 1972
Honors and
awards:
1 battle star (World War II)
Fate: Scrapped, 1 November 1973
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 1,240 long tons (1,260 t) standard
1,620 long tons (1,646 t) full
Length: 306 ft (93 m) o/a
300 ft (91 m) w/l
Beam: 36 ft 10 in (11.23 m)
Draft: 11 ft 8 in (3.56 m)
Propulsion: 4 × GM Mod. 16-278A diesel engines with electric drive, 6,000 shp (4,474 kW), 2 screws
Speed: 21 knots (39 km/h; 24 mph)
Range: 10,800 nmi (20,000 km) at 12 kn (22 km/h; 14 mph)
Complement: 15 officers and 201 enlisted
Armament: • 3 × single Mk.22 3"/50 caliber guns
• 1 × twin 40 mm Mk.1 AA gun
• 8 × 20 mm Mk.4 AA guns
• 3 × 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes
• 1 × Hedgehog Mk.10 anti-submarine mortar (144 rounds)
• 8 × Mk.6 depth charge projectors
• 2 × Mk.9 depth charge tracks

USS Snyder (DE-745) was a built for the United States Navy during World War II. She served in the Pacific Ocean and provided escort service against submarine and air attack for Navy vessels and convoys.

She was laid down on 28 April 1943 by the Western Pipe and Steel Company, San Pedro, California; launched on 29 August 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Lillian J. Snyder; and commissioned on 5 May 1944, Lt. Comdr. E. Moore, USNR, in command.

World War II Pacific Theatre operations

After undergoing shakedown in the San Diego, California, area, Snyder sailed to San Francisco, California, in early July. The destroyer escort joined Task Unit (TU) 16.1.5 there and departed for Pearl Harbor on 11 July. From 1 August to 6 October 1944, Snyder made escort tries to Eniwetok, Manus Island, Saipan, and Kwajalein. She joined Task Group (TG) 12.3 and conducted hunter-killer operations on the San Francisco-Pearl Harbor-Eniwetok sea lanes until mid-February 1945.

Snyder's task group spent much of March searching for Lt. Gen. Millard F. Harmon, Commanding General, U.S. Army Air Forces, Pacific Ocean Areas, whose plane was lost at sea. She then resumed hunter-killer operations. In May, the escort joined a convoy en route from Saipan to Okinawa. On the 11th and 12th, she screened USS Hugh W. Hadley (DD-774) and USS Evans (DD-552), which had been damaged by kamikazes northwest of Okinawa, and escorted them to Ie Shima. The escort then joined the picket screen around Okinawa until 29 May. From 2 to 23 June, Snyder operated with Task Unit 31.1.1, composed of seven escort carriers, which was providing air support for American forces fighting on southern Okinawa. In July and August, she performed anti-submarine patrols in the waters near Guam.

Post-War operations

When hostilities with Japan ceased, Snyder proceeded to Saipan. On 18 September, she screened a convoy of 21 transports from Saipan to Nagasaki. On 18 October, the ship sailed for the west coast via Pearl Harbor. She was rerouted to the east coast for decommissioning and arrived at Norfolk, Virginia, in December 1945. She was then towed to Green Cove Springs, Florida where she lay with the reserve fleet until October 1946.

Service as Training Ship

On 10 October, Snyder was towed to New York and placed in commission, in reserve, as a training ship for the 3rd Naval District. She served in this capacity until May 1950, when she was placed in full commission for use in the Reserve Training Program. On 1 July 1957, Snyder was transferred to the Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet, but continued to operate as a Naval Reserve training ship.

Final decommissioning

Snyder was again placed in reserve, out of commission, on 5 May 1960 and berthed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1972 and sold to North American Smelting Co., Wilmington, Delaware, for scrap.

Awards

Snyder received one battle star for World War II service.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

See also

External links

  • Photo gallery of USS Snyder (DE-745) at NavSource Naval History


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.