World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Varzin

Article Id: WHEBN0005678132
Reproduction Date:

Title: Varzin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Otto von Bismarck, Blumenthal family, Province of Pomerania (1815–1945), Johanna von Puttkamer, History of Pomerania (1806–1933)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Varzin

Warcino
Village
Warcino
Warcino

Coordinates: 54°13′22″N 16°51′26″E / 54.22278°N 16.85722°E / 54.22278; 16.85722

Country Poland Poland
Voivodeship Pomeranian
County Słupsk County
Gmina Kępice
Population 450

Warcino [varˈt͡ɕinɔ] (German: Varzin) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Kępice, within Słupsk County, Pomeranian Voivodeship, in northern Poland.[1] It lies in the historic Pomerania region on the left banks of the Wieprza river, approximately 3 kilometres (2 mi) south-west of Kępice, 30 km (19 mi) south-west of Słupsk, and 117 km (73 mi) west of the regional capital Gdańsk. The village has a population of 450.

The settlement, then part of the Duchy of Pomerania under Duke Bogislaw X, was first mentioned in a 1485 deed. Held by the Lords of Zitzewitz, it was incorporated into the Pomerania province of Brandenburg-Prussia in 1653. On 7 June 1867 it was bought from the Blumenthal family for Otto von Bismarck by the grateful Prussian state for his services as Minister President in the Austro-Prussian War. Bismarck, born in the Altmark, had ties to Pomerania since he spent several years of his childhood at his family's estates in Kniephof near Naugard and had married Johanna von Puttkamer at nearby Kolziglow in 1847. Johanna died here in 1894. Varzin manor remained a possession of the Bismarcks until their expulsion in 1945. Now a forestry college, the manor house still has a huge sculpture of Bismarck's horse, Schmetterling, on its walls.

Notable people

External links

References


Coordinates: 54°13′22″N 16°51′26″E / 54.22278°N 16.85722°E / 54.22278; 16.85722

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.